Pettigrew & Stephens

M124 Pettigrew & Stephens

Address: 181–193, Sauchiehall Street; Bath Street, Glasgow
Date: 1896; 1899–1901; 1903–7; 1909–10; 1913–15
Client: Pettigrew & Stephens
Authorship: Authorship category 2 (Mackintosh and Office) (Mackintosh and Office)

Photograph of Pettigrew & Stephens lantern at Hunterian Art Gallery

1888
3 October: Andrew Hislop Pettigrew and William Henry Stephens enter into partnership. 1
1890
9 October: Approval granted by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for additional storey and attics at 191–193 Sauchiehall Street. Architect not recorded. 2
1891
19 May: One-storey addition and attics 'nearly completed'. 3
1895
'Since last season a most important alteration has been effected, the warehouse [of Pettigrew & Stephens] having been practically doubled in size to meet the increase in business.' 4
1896
23 January: Approval granted by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for breaking through wall between 191–193 Sauchiehall Street and the neighbouring building to the E. 5
February–March: Work of uniting the two buildings completed. 6
1897
Death of William Henry Stephens. 7
1899
24 January: Perspective drawing published, showing John Honeyman & Keppie's proposals for comprehensive rebuilding. 8
5 April: Approval granted by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for comprehensive rebuilding. 9
1900
July: Dome under construction. 10
1901
10 April: Rebuilding 'practically complete'. 11
29 April: Intended date for reopening of enlarged premises. 12
1903
24 December: Approval granted by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for fitting up the former Art Institute Galleries at 171–179 Sauchiehall Street as an annexe to Pettigrew & Stephens. 13
1904
Whitsunday: Lease taken by Pettigrew & Stephens on former Art Institute Galleries. 14
March: Work to former Art Institute Galleries apparently completed. 15
1906
31 May: Approval granted by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for more substantial alterations to former Art Institute Galleries. 16
1907
12 September: Completion of the work approved in May 1906. 17
1909
22 December: Payments made to contractors for alterations in basement and at lift in tea room. 18
1910
27 October: Payments made to contractors for painting and silicating. 19
1914
16 April: Approval granted by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for new shopfronts. 20
17 September: Shopfronts 'almost completed'. 21
1971
Building demolished. Lantern on top of dome salvaged and removed to The Hill House, Helensburgh. 22
1988
Lantern restored and displayed temporarily at the Glasgow Garden Festival. 23
Lantern installed in sculpture courtyard of the Hunterian Art Gallery.

Notes:

1: University of Glasgow Archive Services: House of Fraser archive, memorandum of agreement between Andrew Hislop Pettigrew and William Henry Stephens, GB0248 FRAS 110.

2: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/63, p. 22.

3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/63, p. 22.

4: Glasgow Herald, 20 December 1895, p. 4.

5: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/63, p. 101.

6: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/63, p. 101.

7: The Eagle, 2, 30 September 1909, pp. 9–10.

8: Glasgow Advertiser and Property Circular, 24 January 1899.

9: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 41.

10: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 41.

11: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 41.

12: Glasgow Herald, 27 April 1901, p. 1, p. 6.

13: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 104.

14: University of Glasgow Archive Services: House of Fraser archive, valuation of premises at 181–193 Sauchiehall Street, GB0248 FRAS 115/2.

15: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 104.

16: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 121.

17: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 121.

18: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53063, p. 35.

19: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53063, p. 35.

20: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/65, p. 32.

21: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/65, p. 32.

22: Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 2, January 1974, p. 1.

23: The Environment Show at the Glasgow Garden Festival '88, [Glasgow, 1988] p. 11.