The Glasgow School of Art

M134 The Glasgow School of Art

Address: 167, Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6RQ
Date: 1896–9; 1903–6; 1907–9
Client: Glasgow School of Art
Authorship: Authorship category 1 (Mackintosh) (Mackintosh)

Colour photograph of W. entrance of Glasgow School of Art

1894
16 March: The Governors of the School of Art appoint a committee to report on the accommodation needed in a proposed new building, and to enquire about the price of ground 'in Renfrew Street or elsewhere in a central position'. 1
2 May: Probable cost of new School, including site, is £21,000. An application has been made for financial assistance from the Bellahouston Trustees. 2
1895
25 January: Bellahouston Trustees agree to buy the Renfrew Street site for £6000 and present it to the School, with an additional £4000 for the building fund, on condition that the School raises a further £6000. 3
6 September: The Parks and Galleries Committee of the Town Council agree to make a grant of £5000 to the School 'for a plain building affording accommodation equal to that at present in use [in the Corporation art gallery, Sauchiehall Street]', on condition that the entire £21,000 required is raised. 4
1896
8 January: Subscriptions amounting to 'considerably over £5000' have been promised to the building fund. 5
26 February: Total cost of the project is now estimated at more than the £21,000 already secured. 6
16 March: The Governors resolve to ask Francis H. ('Fra') Newbery to prepare guidelines for the planning of the new building, including 'the required dimensions of class rooms ... together with suggestions as to the size of windows and the application of artificial light &c.', and to indicate 'how much of this accommodation might immediately be constructed'; to appoint a Building Committee consisting of James Fleming, Leonard Gow, Robert H. Leadbetter, David Tullis, Patrick S. Dunn, Seton Thomson and Bailie Bilsland; to invite a maximum of eight Glasgow architects to take part in an architectural competition for the new School, their names to be decided by the Building Committee; to limit the cost of the building to £14,000, and disqualify any competitor who exceeds the budget by more than 10%; and to appoint Sir James King and Sir Renny Watson to assess the plans, 'with power to call in such professional aid to guide them in their decision as they may think necessary'. 7
11 May: A block plan prepared by Newbery has been approved by Thomas Armstrong, Director of Art at South Kensington. 8
1 June: The Governors approve the Building Committee's proposal to increase the number of invited architects from eight to twelve. 9
12 August: The Governors consider a joint letter from the invited architects, dated 24 July, stating that the accommodation required cannot be provided for the sum of £14,000, and requesting that the terms of the competition be changed. The letter is signed by T. L. Watson; John A. Campbell; John James Burnet; H. & J. Barclay; John Honeyman & Keppie; Alex N. Paterson; William J. Anderson; William J. Conner & Henry Mitchell; Alexander McGibbon; James Salmon & Son; Malcolm Stark & Rowntree; and H. E. Clifford. The Governors refuse, emphasising that 'it is but a plain building that is required'. 10
27 August: Following further representations from the architects on 17 and 20 August, the Governors agree to amend the terms of the competition. The architects are asked to indicate what part of their proposals could be erected for £14,000, and what the cost of eventual completion would be. The deadline is extended from 15 September to 1 October 11
1 October: Deadline for competition entries. 12
1897
13 January: The competition entries having been judged anonymously. The architects of the winning entry are identified as John Honeyman & Keppie. 13
February: Competition entries exhibited in Corporation Galleries, Sauchiehall Street. 14
25 February: A grant towards the cost of the new building is to be sought from the Department for Science and Art, South Kensington. The School Secretary is instructed 'to get the necessary plans from the Architect'. 15
7 October: Plans approved by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 16
11 October: Tenders for the new building have been received, and the Governors agree to accept them. Lighting will be by electricity rather than gas. Stone will be either Giffnock or Whitespot. 17
3 November: Ground has been broken. 18
17 November: Barricade erected round site. 19
1898
January–February: Working on foundations. 20
18 March: Scaffolding for crane blown over; one man injured. 21
3 May: Steam crane in position. 22
25 May: Platform erected for foundation stone ceremony. 23
27 May: Excavation for W. wing in progress. 24
July: Walls of E. wing complete; roof under construction. 25
August–September: Plasterwork and 'finishing' in progress. 26
22 September: 'Work stopped only East portion of Building finished'. 27
1899
18 April: Mackintosh travels to Brighton, evidently to visit the new Municipal School of Science and Technology and see its electric lighting. 28
12 May: Governors are informed that 'the Draughtsmen of the Architects' (Messrs Honeyman & Keppie) office had combined to make presentation of 5 trees & suitable protection for them to be planted at the corner of the New School in Dalhousie Street.' 29
29 June: Plans for temporary building for technical studios on site of unbuilt W. wing approved by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 30
6 October: Photographs of the new School have been requested by H. E. Hedley, Secretary of the forthcoming Glasgow International Exhibition, 'to include in a series of views to advertise Glasgow in America.' 31
26 October: Work on temporary building for technical studios 'practically complete'. 32
20 December: Official opening. 33
1901
11 September: Tour of the building, organised by Patrick Geddes and conducted by Mackintosh, for a summer school organised by the International Association for the Advancement of Science, Art and Education. 34
1902
8 January: All outstanding accounts for the first phase of the new building have been paid, with the help of a loan of £2500 from James Fleming and an additional grant from the Bellahouston Trustees. 35
March: Members of the Edinburgh Architectural Association inspect the School of Art on a visit to some of 'the more important among recently-erected buildings' in Glasgow. 36
1903
16 January: Unveiling of marble memorial panel to James Fleming on landing, with polished steel surround by Mackintosh. 37
24 November: John Keppie and Francis Newbery are requested by the Finance Committee of the School to prepare drawings and estimates for: 1) constructing an extra escape stair; 2) partitioning off part of the Museum to give extra space for the Antique class; 3) increasing accommodation for the shop; and 4) providing furniture for the Headmaster's room. 38
1904
25 February: The Finance Committee considers 'estimates and drawings by Mr Mackintosh' for the Headmaster's room. He is to be asked to produce simpler designs. 39
15 March: Mackintosh's designs for furnishing the Headmaster's rooms 'were again examined and the style of the furniture generally approved with some slight modifications'.
9 June: Estimate for new staircase by 'Messrs Honeyman & Keppie' received by the Finance Committee. 40 This presumably relates to the design for a spiral stair in the angle of the S.E. wing and the main block, for which an undated drawing by Mackintosh survives. 41 The scheme was eventually abandoned when superseded by the two new staircases included in final phase of the building. 42
1906
31 January: John Keppie (now a Governor of the School) agrees to prepare a sketch plan and an estimate of the cost of completing the building, so that an application for funding can be made to the Scotch Education Department. 43
29 March: First phase of the School building discharged by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court inspector. 44
9 August: Tender accepted for flooring basement modelling rooms. 45
27 September: Committee for completion of the School building appointed, comprising: Sir Francis Powell, Bailie William Burrell, Bailie Archibald Campbell, Bailie Thomas Dunlop, John James Burnet, William Forrest Salmon, Patrick S. Dunn, James Fleming, George Herriot, Henry Bowie Fyfe, David Barclay, Thomas McArly, Robert J. Dunlop and Hugh Reid. 46
19 October: Plans for completion sent to Scotch Education Department. 47 Final payment for basement flooring. 48
1907
1 February: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh formally appointed architects for completion. 49
February/March: Grant of £15,000 awarded by Scotch Education Department. 50
2 May: Plans have been approved by Building Committee. 51
12 June: Plans and specifications formally approved by Governors. 52
14 November: Plans approved by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 53
15 November: Work begins on site. 54
1908
January–March: Basement in progress. 55
5 February: Governors object to the 'extravagant manner' in which the sub-basement porch and entrance in Scott Street have been carried out, which is not in accordance with the agreed plans. 56
8–29 April: Second storey in progress. 57
7 May–16 June: Third storey in progress. 58
16 June: 'Gutting' of E. wing in progress. 59
7 July: Installing beams for concrete floor in E. wing. 60
14 August–6 October: Putting new roof on E. wing. 61
31 August: 'The old roof of the School has been removed and the new roof and also new fireproof floor are complete so far as the mason, joiner, steel and asphalt works are concerned'. 62
15 October: Roof of 'portion to Scott Street' in progress. 63
2–28 December: Roof in progress. 64
22 December: Drawings by Mackintosh for new board room, shop and office in studio immediately E. of entrance hall 'generally approved' by Building Committee. 65
1909
January–July: Working on interior. 66
8 February: Following advice from the North British & Mercantile Insurance Co., the Building Committee agrees to replace some timber window frames on the S. elevation with metal ones, and to make other changes to lessen the risk of fire spreading from the neighbouring Hengler's Circus. 67
29 September: The Librarian suggests that 'a Librarian's box or office be provided in the South East corner of the Library, so that privacy and good daylight without the use of Electric Light be had'. 68
18 October: 'Work completed'. 69
3 December: The Library and Materials Committee recommends to the Building Committee that 'as the Library was insufficiently heated and that the books might suffer, three radiators should be placed in the West Windows.' 70
15 December: Formal opening of the completed School.
1910
'The Glasgow School of Art (Three Interiors)' exhibited at Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts (730).
1911
'The Glasgow School of Art (West End)' exhibited at Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts (892) under Mackintosh's name.
15 May: 'The Architect' – presumably Mackintosh – presents a scheme before the Finance Sub-Committee for installing an electric lift in the well of the main staircase, but it is decided to adopt a different location. 71
1913
'The Glasgow School of Art – interiors' exhibited at Royal Scottish Academy (450).
1914
15 January: 'The Architect' – presumably Mackintosh – opposes a proposal to install a window in the E. wall for the Animal Room, because he considers it 'possibly dangerous to the structure'. 72
June: Mackintosh attends his last meeting as a Governor of the School. 73
1915
18 March: A letter to Mackintosh about the proposed Animal Room window receives no reply. A Subcommittee of the School Committee decides to proceed with the alterations. 74
24 June: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court approves plans by John Honeyman & Keppie for new door and window to Animal Room in Dalhousie Street. 75
29 September: Alterations to Animal Room complete. 76
1920
Entrance hall subdivided with 'screens and doors'. 77
1920s
Original plenum system of heating and ventilation taken out of use and replaced with piped hot water and steam radiator system. 78
1923
15 October: A new doorway has been made at the back of the lecture room. 79
1924
15 December: The School shop is to be moved to classroom 25, and the School office extended into the shop. 80
1936
September: 'The panelling around the stairway [of the Glasgow School of Art] has been scraped of its dark Jacobean staining and left a lighter colouring.' 81
1947
25 April: Opening of the Mackintosh Room (the original Board Room in the S.E. wing) containing a permanent display of furniture designed by Mackintosh, probably the first such anywhere. 82
1972
Detailed survey of the building carried out by Geoffrey G. Wimpenny of Keppie Henderson, prior to a phased programme of work costing around £200,000. 83
1973
'It has been agreed to carry out over the next few years a comprehensive overhaul and renewal where necessary of the fabric and services of the Mackintosh building. This most extensive and costly programme will include renewal of wiring and plumbing and possibly of the entire heating system.' 84
1976
The building is partly surrounded by scaffolding while pointing of stonework, replacement of rotted woodwork and replacement of roof coverings proceeds. The 'hen run' and conservatory have been rebuilt, 'the curved end section of the Hen Run having been glazed right to the floor as originally'; in the entrance hall, screens and doors added in 1920 have been removed and 'the office and the Janitor's box area is now being reinstated', based on Mackintosh's 1910 drawings, rediscovered in 1975. This programme of work is 'a more intensive continuation of work which has been proceeding over the years, such as the relocation of the School shop in which we used sections of panelling from Miss Buick's Restaurant, the introduction of fire doors in the corridors ... and the construction of balconies in some of the studios.' 85 A former architecture studio on the ground floor has been divided up to form offices, and repairs to the roof are in progress. 86
1978
The original roof lights in the seven first-floor painting studios, which were covered over during the Second World War, have been uncovered. 87
1979
Autumn: 'Currently undergoing an extensive programme of conservation, the next major phase of which involves the entire rewiring of the lighting and power circuits. In the process it is hoped to get rid of the unsightly switchgear which disfigures some of the main corridors, an unfortunate legacy of the last rewiring some 25 years ago ... This phase will be followed by a complete overhaul of the central heating system. For reasons of fire prevention it is unlikely that the original system of heating by hot air will be restored.' 88
1981
£70,000 is to be spent on repairing and renewing electrical and gas mains, the work to be carried out by Keppie Henderson; light fittings, made to Mackintosh's designs, have been installed in the Director's room; and the former store room above the library has been converted to house a new display of Mackintosh's furniture. 89
1982
The Sculpture and Ceramics departments have moved out of the basement and sub-basement and these spaces have been cleaned and redecorated for use by First Year students. 90
1983
'Repair and restoration programme underway.' 91 Unspecified 'restoration of the stonework' reportedly carried out. 92
1984
May: 'Part one of a two-stage programme of renovating the entire heating and wiring of the Mackintosh building begins this summer. The oil-powered boilers in the basement and the old bulky radiators will be removed and replaced by a less obtrusive gas calorifier system designed by Keppie Henderson. The warm air heating system designed by CRM will be reinstated in the Mackintosh Room. In the Museum, not only is heating to be installed, but the roof will be double-glazed and extra track-lighting fitted to complete restoration and up-grading of this space. All the electrical wiring will be replaced throughout the building.' 93
1985
Summer: 'Main door to be 'completely restored and reinstalled'. 94
Winter: Doug Stonelake wins architectural competition for pedestrianisation of Renfrew Street opposite the School. 95 Not carried out.
1988
Summer: Handrail added to 'inner wall' of West Stair. 96
1994
£400,000 to be spent in 1994–5 on 'replacing the entire roof .... replacing all the skylights and other areas of secondary glazing, and renewing all the lead-work.' A further £400,000 to be spent in 1995–6 on work which will include 'the continued internal refurbishment of the Mackintosh building including the installation of a new fire alarm system.' 97
2000
Spring: Mackintosh Research Centre opens in basement. 98
2006
November: Glasgow School of Art awarded £4,466,000 by Heritage Lottery Fund towards its Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project. The project includes a full programme of timber and stone repairs, restoration of original features and removal of inappropriate additions, and relocation of the Mackintosh furniture galley to the basement. The work will be carried out in stages, up to 2010. 99 Architects for the project are Page & Park and ZM Architecture. 100
2007
July: Commencement of £8.4m Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project. Ground-floor toilets refurbished. Spaces in basement prepared for Mackintosh Furniture Gallery and Interpretation Gallery. Repairs carried out to stonework, timber and light fittings in Library, and to stonework in Museum and on W. and E. staircases. 101
2008
September: Second phase of Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project completed. New areas opened in basement for Archives and Collections Centre, Mackintosh Furniture Gallery, Mackintosh Interpretation Centre and Shop, all designed by ZM Architecture. 102
2009
Completion of Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project. 103 Major funders: Heritage Lottery Fund, The Monument Trust, European Regional Development Fund, Glasgow City Council, Historic Scotland, The Hugh Fraser Foundation, The Garfield Weston Foundation, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow, The Gannochy Trust, Professor Nick Kuenssberg, The Estate of Ernest & Mary Shaw and The Robert Barr Charitable Trust.
2014
23 May: West wing severely damaged by fire and interior of library destroyed.

Notes:

1: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/3.

2: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/3.

3: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/3.

4: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

5: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

6: Glasgow Herald, 26 February 1896, p. 10.

7: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

8: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Building Committee minutes, GOV 5/1/1.

9: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

10: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

11: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

12: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

13: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

14: Glasgow Herald, 2 February 1897, p. 7.

15: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

16: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

17: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

18: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

19: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

20: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

21: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

22: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

23: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

24: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

25: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

26: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

27: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

28: Glasgow School of Art Archives: invoice for travelling expenses, GOV 5/7/69. W. B. Sayers, consulting electrician, had already visited this new building on 17 March (Glasgow School of Art Archives: bills and receipts, GOV 5/7/107).

29: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

30: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 48.

31: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/4.

32: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 48.

33: Glasgow Herald, 21 December 1899, p. 10.

34: Volker M. Welter, 'Arcades for Lucknow: Patrick Geddes, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Reconstruction of the City', Architectural History, 42, 1999, pp. 316–32; Strathclyde University Archives, Patrick Geddes papers, T-GED 6/6/5.

35: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

36: British Architect, 57, 28 March 1902, p. 217.

37: Scotsman, 17 January 1903, p. 11.

38: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

39: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

40: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

41: Glasgow School of Art: MC.G.100 .

42: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Finance Committee minutes, GOV 2/5, 9 November 1906.

43: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

44: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 3.

45: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53062, p. 46.

46: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

47: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5, 29 January 1907.

48: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53062, p. 46.

49: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5, 25 February 1907.

50: Glasgow Herald, 5 March 1907, p. 6.

51: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

52: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/5.

53: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

54: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

55: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

56: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Building Committee minutes, GOV 5/1/3.

57: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

58: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

59: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

60: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

61: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

62: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Building Committee minutes, GOV 5/1/3.

63: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

64: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

65: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Building Committee minutes, GOV 5/1/4.

66: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

67: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Building Committee minutes, GOV 5/1/4.

68: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' Minutes, GOV 2/7, Subcommittee on Books, Casts and Materials, 29 September 1909.

69: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/64, p. 131.

70: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/7.

71: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/7.

72: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/9.

73: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/10, 26 November 1915. Mackintosh had been a Governor since 1909, as the representative of the Glasgow Institute of Architects. In this capacity he served on the School and Staff committee and the Library and Materials committee.

74: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/10.

75: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild plans, 1915/201.

76: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/10.

77: Geoffrey M. Wimpenny, 'Renovation and Restoration of the Glasgow School of Art', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 13, Autumn 1976.

78: George Cairns, 'The Glasgow School of Art: The missing link of environmental systems history', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 66, Winter/Spring 1995, pp. 5–10.

79: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/12.

80: Glasgow School of Art Archives: Governors' minutes, GOV 2/12.

81: Scottish Daily Express, 30 September 1936.

82: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: programme for official opening of the Mackintosh Room at Glasgow School of Art, GLAHA 52418; Thomas Howarth, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 2nd edn, 1977, p. 294.

83: Geoffrey M. Wimpenny, 'Renovation and Restoration of the Glasgow School of Art', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 13, Autumn 1976; Alison Harris, A Report on the Present and Future Condition of the Remaining Buildings of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Dip. Arch. dissertation, Glasgow School of Art, 1976.

84: Glasgow School of Art Annual Report 1972–3, p. 17.

85: Geoffrey M. Wimpenny, 'Renovation and Restoration of the Glasgow School of Art', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 13, Autumn 1976.

86: Alison Harris, A Report on the Present and Future Condition of the Remaining Buildings of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Dip.Arch. dissertation, Glasgow School of Art, 1976.

87: Glasgow School of Art Annual Report 1977–8, p. 14.

88: Colin B. Kirkwood, 'Notes on Mackintosh buildings', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 23, Autumn 1979.

89: Glasgow School of Art Annual Report 1980–81, p. 18.

90: Glasgow School of Art Annual Report 1981–82, p. 15.

91: Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 35, Autumn 1983.

92: Glasgow School of Art Annual Report 1982–83, p. 14.

93: Jocelyn Grigg, 'The Glasgow School of Art', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 37, May 1984.

94: Tony Jones, 'Glasgow School of Art white doors', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 39, Winter 1985–5.

95: Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 42, Winter 1985–6, p. 4.

96: J. I. Ballantyne, 'Buildings and interiors update', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 49, Summer 1988, p. 2.

97: Peter Trowles, 'Glasgow School of Art', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 65, Autumn 1994.

98: Peter Trowles, 'The Mackintosh inheritance', in William Buchanan, ed., Mackintosh's Masterwork: the Glasgow School of Art, 2nd edn, London: A. & C. Black, 2004, p. 170.

99: 'HLF supports the GSA', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 91, Winter 2006, p. 25.

100: Richard Waite, 'Overhaul for Mac masterwork', Architects' Journal, 16 March 2006, p. 11.

101: Peter Trowles, 'The Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project: update', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 93, Spring 2008, p. 16.

102: Peter Trowles, 'The Glasgow School of Art Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 94, Winter 2008, p. 21.

103: Seona Reid, 'Mackintosh Building Centenary', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 95, Summer 2009, p. 21.