M017 Additions to Craigrownie Church, CoveAddress: Church Road, Cove G84 0LZ
Client: Craigrownie Church
The church begun in 1852, built as a chapel of ease, to a design by H. H. MacKinney of Liverpool. 1 In 1889–90, John Honeyman & Keppie extended the nave considerably to accommodate 140 extra seats and a small gallery for the organ and choir. 2
Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.
Alternative names: Craigrownie Parish Church.
Cost from office job book: £797 11s 9½d
Cost from other sources: 'The cost of the extension was originally estimated at £750'. 3
Status: Standing building
Current name: Craigrownie Church
Current use: Church (2014)
Listing category: B
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 43392
RCAHMS Site Number: NS28SW 19
Grid Reference: NS 22420 81053
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.987898, lng = -4.847215 (Map)
1: Frank Arneil Walker and Fiona Sinclair, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute, London: Penguin, 2000, p. 211.
2: Glasgow Herald, 17 June 1890, p. 10.
3: Glasgow Herald, 17 June 1890, p. 10.