Anderson's College Medical School

M003 Anderson's College Medical School

Address: Dumbarton Road, Glasgow G11 6NU
Date: 1888–90; 1895–6
Client: Anderson's College Medical School governors
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of S. elevation of Anderson's College Medical School

John Honeyman & Keppie designed a two storey, yellow sandstone Italo-Scots Renaissance-detailed building fully equipped to meet the requirements of a medical school.

Authorship: The contract for Anderson's College was awarded to James Sellars in 1887 and under his supervision a design was drawn up by John Keppie in early 1888. Following Sellars's death later the same year, Keppie brought the contract into the partnership with John Honeyman. Mackintosh joined the newly established practice in 1889. There is no evidence to suggest that Mackintosh contributed to the design.

Alternative names: The Anderson College of Medicine.

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: £9503 3s 5d; Phase 2: £363 1s 2d

Cost from other sources: Estimated cost of around £10,000 on completion 1

Status: Standing building

Current name: Glasgow International College

Current use: Higher education college affiliated with the University of Glasgow (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32867

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 1004

Grid Reference: NS 56396 66513

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.870091, lng = -4.296602   (Map)


1: Glasgow Herald, 23 October 1889, p. 9.