M003 Anderson's College Medical SchoolAddress: Dumbarton Road, Glasgow G11 6NU
Date: 1888–90; 1895–6
Client: Anderson's College Medical School governors
John Honeyman & Keppie designed a two storey, yellow sandstone Italo-Scots Renaissance-detailed building fully equipped to meet the requirements of a medical school.
Authorship: The contract for Anderson's College was awarded to James Sellars in 1887 and under his supervision a design was drawn up by John Keppie in early 1888. Following Sellars's death later the same year, Keppie brought the contract into the partnership with John Honeyman. Mackintosh joined the newly established practice in 1889. There is no evidence to suggest that Mackintosh contributed to the design.
Alternative names: The Anderson College of Medicine.
Cost from office job book: Phase 1: £9503 3s 5d; Phase 2: £363 1s 2d
Cost from other sources: Estimated cost of around £10,000 on completion 1
Status: Standing building
Current name: Glasgow International College
Current use: Higher education college affiliated with the University of Glasgow (2014)
Listing category: B
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32867
RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 1004
Grid Reference: NS 56396 66513
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.870091, lng = -4.296602 (Map)
1: Glasgow Herald, 23 October 1889, p. 9.