Alterations to Bank of Scotland buildings

M041 Alterations to Bank of Scotland buildings

Address: 20, George Square, Glasgow G1 2DH
Date: 1891
Client: Bank of Scotland
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie carried out alterations, including the installation of a lift, to the 1874 Italian Renaissance-style commercial block by Campbell Douglas & Sellars which was itself an extension of the Bank of Scotland's premises at 2 St Vincent Place, designed by J. T. Rochead and built in 1867–70.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: £548 5s 6d

Status: Standing building

Current use: Pub and restaurant (2014)

Listing category: A

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32838

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 698

Grid Reference: NS 59158 65407

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.861181, lng = -4.251462   (Map)