Alterations 61 Bishop Street

M047 Alterations 61 Bishop Street

Address: 61, Bishop Street, Glasgow
Date: 1891; 1898
Client: McInnes, McKenzie & Lochhead; James McMichael
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie's drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in 1891 show alterations for taking-in doors at the second, third and fourth floors of this store, and the conversion of a ground-floor window to a door. The same contractors returned seven years later to carry out further, minor work. Drawings prepared by the practice in 1901, which show neither additions nor alterations, appear to have been required by the Glasgow Corporation Master of Works for approving the store's cubic capacity.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Bishop Garden Cotton Mill.

Alternative addresses:
21–31 Bishop Court

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: £476 11s 7d; Phase 2: £199 4s 8d

Status: Demolished in 1966 1

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 2086

Grid Reference: NS 5809 6546

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.861363, lng = -4.268264   (Map)

Notes:

1: John R. Hume, Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow and London: Blackie, 1974, p. 230.