Old Kilpatrick Parish Board Offices

M077 Old Kilpatrick Parish Board Offices

Address: 631, Dumbarton Road, Clydebank G81 4EU
Date: 1892–4
Client: Old Kilpatrick Parish Board
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of N. and W. elevations

John Honeyman & Keppie designed a three-storey, three-bay, snecked ashlar red sandstone office building for Old Kilpatrick Parish Board. They also made alterations and additions to a washing house and boundary walls.

The central entrance on the N. (street) elevation of the office building is round-headed and flanked by columns with a carved panel above. Square-headed windows have stone mullions and relieving arches, stone transoms on the ground floor and curved projecting sills at the second floor. The roofline comprises a half-timbered gable and a dormer with projecting eaves between. The building is set back from the road behind railings and has been extended substantially to the S. at a later date.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Dalmuir Parochial Offices, Old Kilpartick Parish Offices.

Cost from office job book: £1157 11s 2½d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Beardmore House

Current use: Dalmuir Park Housing Association (2014)

RCAHMS Site Number: NS47SE 230

Grid Reference: NS 48476 71109

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.909154, lng = -4.425611   (Map)