M039 Alterations to Abercorn Parish ChurchAddress: Abercorn EH30 9SL
Client: Abercorn Parish Church
John Honeyman & Keppie carried out substantial restoration work in 1893–4 following consultation between the heritors and John Honeyman during the previous two years. The work included repairs to the roof, floor, windows and doors, chancel arch and belfry, as well as an extenstion to the building to accommodate larger numbers in improved pews. The work was paid for by the Abercorn Parish Heritors who included the minister, J. H. Crawford and representatives of local landowners the Earl of Hopetoun, the Dalyell of The Binns and of the North British Railway. 1
Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.
Alternative names: Abercorn Kirk.
Cost from office job book: £1590 15s 8d
Status: Standing building
Current name: Abercorn Church
Current use: Church (2014)
Listing category: A: Listed as 'Abercorn Kirk'
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 612
RCAHMS Site Number: NT07NE 1
Grid Reference: NT 08141 79097
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.996000, lng = -3.474303 (Map)
1: Edinburgh, National Records of Scotland: Records of heritors of Abercorn Parish, minute book with accounts 1832–1930, 30 March and 7 April 1893; 23 November 1894.
2: Colin McWilliam and Christopher Wilson, Buildings of Scotland: Lothian except Edinburgh, London: Penguin, 1978, pp. 69–70.
3: Edinburgh, National Records of Scotland: Records of heritors of Abercorn Parish, minute book with accounts 1832–1930, 30 March and 7 April 1893; 23 November 1894.