M064 Skelmorlie Parish ChurchAddress: Shore Road, Skelmorlie PA17 5DY
Client: Trustees of Skelmorlie Parish Church
Authorship: (Mackintosh and Office)
This Gothic Revival church replaced an earlier chapel on the same site, part of which survives as the church hall. It was built to serve the affluent resort village of Skelmorlie, and its rich furnishings reflect the prosperity of its Victorian congregation.
Authorship: John Honeyman was responsible for the design of the church: he made site visits at the planning stage, and he is named as architect in a contemporary account written by the minister. However, the distinctive style of some of the furnishings and fittings suggests Mackintosh's involvement. In particular, the unusual wrought-iron lamp standard outside the main entrance is very similar to the one shown in Mackintosh's 1896 perspective drawing of Martyrs Public School, and it was probably designed by him.
Alternative names: Skelmorlie and Wemyss Bay Parish Church.
Cost from office job book: Phase 1 (church): £4987 10s 11d; Phase 2 (painting): no payments recorded in job book; Phase 3 (pulpit): £85 3s 0d
Status: Standing building
Current use: Church (2014)
Listing category: B
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 7269
RCAHMS Site Number: NS16NE 10
Grid Reference: NS 19282 68111
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.872175, lng = -4.890032 (Map)