M101 Restoration and alterations to Largo Parish ChurchAddress: Church Place, Upper Largo KY8 6EH
Client: John Gilmour
John Honeyman & Keppie restored the the 17th-century church and made substantial alterations and additions: the S. transept was extended and enlarged; stone mullioned Perpendicular tracery replaced earlier wooden windows; a carved chancel arch, hammerbeam roofs and gallery fronts with tracery were added inside; interior decoration and the turret clocks were also added. John Honeyman published a report on the restoration 'under his care' in the Transactions of the Glasgw Ecclesiological Society in 1898. 1
Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.
Alternative names: Largo Kirk, Largo and Newburn Parish Church.
Cost from office job book: Phase 1: £2377 9s 7½d; Phase 2: £162 12s 0d
Status: Standing building
Current name: Largo and Newburn Parish Church
Current use: Church (2014)
Listing category: B: Listed as 'Upper Largo, Largo Parish Church and church yard'
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 8989
RCAHMS Site Number: NO40SW 11
Grid Reference: NO 42369 03485
GPS coordinates: lat = 56.220426, lng = -2.930924 (Map)
1: John Gifford, Buildings of Scotland: Fife, London: Penguin, 1988, p. 421; David Stark, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Co., Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing, 2004, pp. 161–2; John Honeyman, 'title', Transactions of the Glasgow Ecclesiological Society, 2, 1898, p. 3.