M091 Conservative Club, HelensburghAddress: 38–40, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh G84 8SU
Client: Helensburgh and Gareloch Conservative Association
Authorship: (Mackintosh and Office)
This impressive and highly distinctive building stands in one of the main commercial streets of Helensburgh and comprises club rooms above ground-floor shops.
Authorship: The drawings submitted to
Helensburgh Dean of Guild Court cannot now (2014) be traced, but they are known from
photographs which show that they had annotations in Mackintosh's hand. There is
no documentary evidence that he designed this building, but it is difficult to
see who else in John Honeyman & Keppie's office in the early 1890s could have been
responsible for its more individual features. Certain details, such as the
carving around the ground-floor entrance to the club rooms and the unusual
treatment of the right-hand bay, have parallels in other works of around the
same date, such as the Music Room at Craigie
Hall and the first phase of the Glasgow
School of Art, where Mackintosh's authorship is more certain.
Corroboratory evidence is provided byRonald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture in the 1930s who had access to the office records. He included the Conservative Club on lists he compiled of works he believed were by Mackintosh, and of drawings produced in the office during Mackintosh's time.
Cost from office job book: £3505 12s 10d
Cost from other sources: At the official opening it was reported that members had subscribed £4000 towards the new building, but a further £1000 would be needed to clear all debts. 1
Status: Standing building
Current name: M & Co.
Current use: Shop (2014)
Listing category: A
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 34868
RCAHMS Site Number: NS28SE 132
Grid Reference: NS 29673 82333
GPS coordinates: lat = 56.003596, lng = -4.733148 (Map)
1: Glasgow Herald, 10 December 1895, p. 7.