M028 Additions and alterations to Belhaven ChurchAddress: 27, Dundonald Road, Glasgow G12 9LL
Date: 1890–1; 1898–9; 1904; 1913
Client: Belhaven Church
Authorship: (Mackintosh and Office)
This Gothic Revival church of 1876–7 was designed by James Sellars, John Keppie's former employer. John Honeyman & Keppie were associated with the building on four occasions over a period of 23 years. In 1890–1 they made sketches for proposed alterations, but no work appears to have been carried out. In 1898, they supervised the installation of electricity, and new woodwork, and redecoration and repairs were carried out. In 1904, a bathroom was added at the S.W. corner of the Beadle's house. And in 1913, a memorial brass to Rev. Dr Robert Drummond (1828–1911), minister of Belhaven Church from 1880 until his death, was made and installed. 1
Authorship: There is stylistic evidence to suggest
that Mackintosh contributed at least to the 1898 woodwork. The Gothic surround
to the choir passage door installed at this time has a distinctive arched top
in the form of a flattened ogee. This has
parallels in a number of his furniture designs, and the blind tracery in the
gable includes unusual horizontal ovals of the type he later used in the window
tracery at Queen's Cross Church, and in
the chancel woodwork at Bridge of Allan
Corroboratory evidence is provided by Ronald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture in the 1930s, who had access to the office records. He included Belhaven on a list he compiled of works he believed were by Mackintosh and made a tracing of an original drawing for the choir passage door; Harrison may have believed that Mackintosh made the drawing. 2 The choir and pulpit-stair newel posts are also distinctive, and can be compared with a design by Mackintosh for a choir enclosure for an unidentified church, which has similar terminal posts. 3
Alternative names: Belhaven United Presbyterian Church, Belhaven United Free Church, St Luke's Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
Cost from office job book: Phase 1: £1049 5s 4d; Phase 2: £98 10s 11½d; Phase 3: £52 10s 0d
Status: Standing building
Current name: St Luke's Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Current use: Cathedral (2014)
Listing category: B: Listed as '27–9 (odd nos) Dundonald Road, St Luke's Greek Orthodox Cathedral'
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32508
RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 1148
Grid Reference: NS 56281 67493
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.879086, lng = -4.298944 (Map)
1: George Eyre-Todd, Who's Who in Glasgow in 1909, Glasgow: Gowans & Gray, 1909, p. 65.
2: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 52344 (M028-003). The date traced from the original drawing is 8 November 1898. The tracery design executed is far simpler than what is shown in Harrison's tracing.
3: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 52332.