M137 Factory for British & Foreign Aerated Water Co. LtdAddress: 22, Farnell Street, Glasgow G4 9SE
Client: British & Foreign Aerated Water Co. Ltd
Authorship: (Office with Mackintosh)
This severely utilitarian brick-built factory was intended for the manufacture of fizzy drinks.
advertised for sale in December 1903, the factory was said to have been
designed by John Keppie. Mackintosh wrote numerous notes relating to ironwork and
sewerage on the drawings approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in March
1897 and must therefore have been directly involved in the project, but the
extent of his contribution to the design is not clear.
The factory was included on a list of Mackintosh's works and a list of drawings compiled in the 1930s by Ronald Harrison, an early student of his architecture who had access to the office records. It seems Harrison believed that Mackintosh was reponsible for 'two fireplaces' at the factory but without further information it is not possible to say whether Mackintosh had any design input.
Alternative names: Packham & Co., Argyle Cycles, Scottish Adhesives Co. Ltd.
- Alternative addresses:
- Burns Street
- Caithness Street
- Garscube Cross
Cost from office job book: £5359 10s 10½d
Cost from other sources: 'The works are a Substantial and Commodious building, erected by the Company in the year 1898 at a cost, including the price of the Site, of upwards of £7000, to plans prepared by Mr John Keppie, Architect, Glasgow.' 1
Status: Standing building
Current name: The Glue Factory (2014)
Current use: Studios and arts venue
RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 1093
Grid Reference: NS 5870 6686
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.874119, lng = -4.259980 (Map)
1: Scotsman, 8 December 1903, p. 1.