M125 Queen's Cross ChurchAddress: 870, Garscube Road, Glasgow G20 7EL
Client: Free St Matthew's Congregation
This suburban church on a busy main road is Mackintosh's major ecclesiastical work. The style is Gothic, but although the general form of the building and its decorative details are based on medieval architecture, it is a highly personal development from traditional models. Having ceased use as a place of worship, it became the headquarters of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society in 1977.
Authorship: The minutes of the relevant church committee name John Keppie as architect, but because of the extraordinary individualism of its detailing the design has always been accepted as Mackintosh's. His authorship could not be acknowledged publicly at the time of building because he was still only an assistant in the practice, not a partner, but the church was included in a list of his works published towards the end of his life. 1 His handwriting appears in numerous inscriptions relating to building materials on the drawings approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, and he drew the elaborate perspective which was exhibited at the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1898. When the church was included in the architecture section of the Glasgow International Exhibition 1901 (192), possibly illustrated with the same perspective drawing, the catalogue named the architects as 'John Honeyman, R. S. A.; John Keppie, I. A.; Charles R. McIntosh [sic]'.
Alternative names: Free Church for Free St Matthew's congregation, Springbank Church, St Cuthbert's and Queen's Cross Church, Mackintosh Queen's Cross.
- Alternative addresses:
- Springbank Street
- New City Road
Cost from office job book: £7212 12s 7½d
Cost from other sources: £8999 19s 0d (including £1910 16s 2d for purchase of site) 2
Status: Standing building
Current use: Headquarters of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society (2014)
Listing category: A
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 33764
RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 159
Grid Reference: NS 57976 67572
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.880298, lng = -4.271915 (Map)
1: Charles Marriott, Modern English Architecture, London: Chapman and Hall, 1924, p. 241.
2: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Minutes of Deacons' Court of Free St Matthew's Church, CH3/971/18, printed accounts for the year ended 15 March 1900 inserted between pp. 17 and 18.