Addition to 224 St Vincent Street

M181 Addition to 224 St Vincent Street

Address: 224, St Vincent Street, Glasgow G2 5RQ
Date: 1900–2
Client: Alexander Massey
Authorship: Authorship category 3 (Office with Mackintosh) (Office with Mackintosh)

Photograph of drawing of fireplace at 224 St Vincent St

Built as a terraced house in the early 19th century, 224 St Vincent Street was already in commercial use by the 1880s. In 1900 John Honeyman & Keppie designed a rear addition containing suites of offices.

Authorship: Mackintosh was evidently involved in this project. The drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court for approval have annotations in his handwriting, and one appears to have been drawn by him. The job-book entry is also partly written in his hand.

Alternative addresses:
West George Lane

Cost from office job book: £4417 19s 8d

Status: Addition demolished; original house rebuilt behind preserved facade

Current use: Commercial (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 33163 (202–228 St Vincent Street)

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 472

Grid Reference: NS 58506 65563

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.862418, lng = -4.262400   (Map)