M205 Additions to Eglinton FoundryAddress: 96, Kilbirnie Street, Glasgow G5 8HS
Client: Robert Maclaren & Co.
Authorship: (Mackintosh and Office)
Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh designed several additions to this foundry, which specialised in the manufacture of cast-iron pipes for water and gas mains. Their work included a new Machine Shop, Blower House and Foundry Pit.
Authorship: There is no conclusive evidence that Mackintosh was involved in the design of the Machine Shop. However, the unusual design of the gable has echoes elsewhere in his architecture. Corroboratry evidence is provided byRonald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture in the 1930s, who had access to the office records. He made a tracing of an original drawing for the machine shop which he evidently believed to be by Mackintosh. 1
- Alternative addresses:
- Canal Street
- Stromness Street
- Crawford Street
- Port Eglinton
Cost from office job book: 1902–3 work, including Machine Shop: £3444 1s 8d; raising foundry roof: £461 7s 3½d; New Blower House: £1333 13s 1d; New Foundry Pit: £3100 10s 8d
Status: Partly demolished
Current name: M. Suleman & Co.
Current use: Cash and carry warehouse (2014)
RCAHMS Site Number: NS56SE 1212 (96 Kilbirnie Street)
Grid Reference: NS 5829 6387 (96 Kilbirnie Street)
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.847155, lng = -4.264964 (Map)
1: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 52340 (M205-001).