M236 Dineiddwg, MilngavieAddress: Milngavie G62 8LQ
Client: William Beattie
Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's work for the entrepreneurial baker William Beattie at his estate at Mugdock, N. of Glasgow, was one of the practice's largest projects. The work cost over £34,000, and Beattie paid a total of £1720 in architects' fees. Over a period of nine years, he commissioned the massive sandstone mansion named Dineiddwg (apparently the old Welsh name for Mugdock), itself costing over £18,500; two substantial gate lodges; extensive greenhouses; a large complex of stables with tower, built around a courtyard; a coachman's house; alterations to estate cottages; and various works in the gardens. The work is recorded in six distinct phases in the practice job books, though the dates of several of these overlap. 1
The mansion itself is Scots Renaissance in style, with mullioned-and-transomed windows. It was constructed around a central court, with the principal rooms in the two-storey S. and E. ranges, and single-storey kitchens, services and servants' quarters to the N. and W. The S. range includes a large, double-height hall and apsidal stair-tower on the N. side, and a drawing room, dining room and library on the S., with canted bay windows overlooking a terrace. These public rooms were fitted with elaborate fireplaces, panelling, plasterwork ceilings and stained glass. Photographs and drawings of the house were exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy in 1907 (459), 1909 (359) and 1913 (462), and published in Academy Architecture in 1907 and in 1909, with a ground-floor plan. 2 The plan and three photographs of the interior were also included in a 1908 publication, Domestic Architecture in Scotland: Illustrations of Scottish Domestic Work of Recent Years, and an interior elevation drawing and brief description of the hall appeared in the Builder as late as 1920. 3
In the late 1960s, the N. and W. ranges, and the dining room, hall ingleneuk and adjacent store were demolished and replaced by an outdoor swimming pool. 4
Authorship: The Scots Renaissance style of the exterior of the mansion, and the Jacobean-inspired panelling, carving and plasterwork of the interior all point to the work of John Keppie. Surviving drawings for the gate lodges and stables are signed by Keppie, though apparently drawn by a number of different draughtsmen within the practice. According to the architect W. S. Moyes, who worked in Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's office at this time, Dineiddwg was designed by John Keppie. 5 The job-book entries are written almost entirely in Keppie's hand.
Cost from office job book: Phase 1: £6166 10s 0d; Phase 2: £5779 19s 2d; Phase 3: £18,533 4s 0d; Phase 4: £941 18s 9d; Phase 5: £812 11s 1d; Phase 6: £1444 6s 0d.
Status: Standing buildings; house partially demolished in late 1960s; greenhouses largely demolished
Current use: Residential; stables now converted to residential (2014)
Listing category: B: Listed as 'Mugdock, Dineiddwg and front garden gate' and 'Mugdock, Dineiddwg, main entrance gate pier and gate at west lodge'
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 15336; 15337
RCAHMS Site Number: NS57NE 66
Grid Reference: NS 55993 76686
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.961530, lng = -4.308446 (Map)
1: The name 'Dineiddwg' appears for the first time in the practice job books when the second of phase of work, the stables, was recorded. The house is the third phase. The first phase recorded in the job books, which included the gate lodges, greenhouses and other work on the estate, appeared under the name Craigend. O.S. maps preceding and following this first phase, and surviving drawings for the gate lodges, show the work was carried out at the same location as the house and stables and was not connected with Craigend Castle or stables located a few miles N.W. 'Mugdock' is recorded as the location in the planning application for the gate lodges and for Beattie's first payment to Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh. Stirling Council Archives Service: Register of New Buildings, Western District, 1900–38, p. 4, no. 8, 4 May 1904; The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh / Keppie Henderson cash book, 1889–1917, GLAHA 53079, p. 82.
2: Academy Architecture, 32, July 1907, p. 99; 36, July 1909, pp. 92–5.
3: James Nicoll, ed., Domestic Architecture in Scotland: Illustrations of Scottish Domestic Work of Recent Years, Aberdeen: Daily Journal, 1908, pls 23–6. The published plan differed slightly from the house as constructed: the canted bay at the library, for example, was not shown. Builder, 19, 23 July 1920, p. 93.
4: John Gifford, Frank Arneil Walker and Richard Fawcett, Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, New Haven, CT, and London: Yale University Press, 2002, p. 620; Historic Scotland listed building reports 15336 and 15337, www.historic-scotland.gov.uk [accessed 5 December 2012]; O.S., Stirlingshire XXVII.14 (25-inch Series, first revision, 1896); Dumbartonshire XX.13 (25-inch Series, second revision, 1914); O.S. NS57 (1:2500 Series, 1969). Information on the demolition supplied by East Dunbartonshire Council archivist, Janice Miller, 28 November 2012.
5: University of Toronto, Roberts Library: letter from W. S. Moyes to Thomas Howarth, 29 April 1947, B96-0028/017(13)