M269 Alterations to St Philip's United Free Church, PortobelloAddress: Brunstane Road North, Portobello EH15 2DL
Client: St Philip's United Free Church
Built to a Gothic Revival design by John Honeyman, St Philip's opened in 1877. In 1904–6, Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh designed a chancel to house a new organ, but their plans were rejected on grounds of cost. They carried out a cheaper scheme instead, the organ being placed at the N. end of the nave.
Authorship: It is clear from the minutes of the Deacons' Court of St Philip's that Mackintosh was the partner in charge of the organ scheme, and that he was responsible for the organ case. Photographs taken before its removal in the 1960s show an unremarkable Gothic design, with none of the individuality that Mackintosh had brought to the fittings at Bridge of Allan church two years earlier.
Alternative names: Portobello Free Church.
- Alternative addresses:
- 14 Abercorn Terrace
Cost from office job book: £264 8s 0d
Cost from other sources: 'the organ ... cost just under £750, and the total expense, including alterations and the shifting of the pulpit, was over £1,300' 1
Status: Standing building
Current name: St Philip's Church, Joppa
Current use: Church (2014)
Listing category: B
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 26724
RCAHMS Site Number: NT37SW 309
Grid Reference: NT 31237 73573
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.950249, lng = -3.102695 (Map)
1: W. Allan Maclean, St Philip's, Joppa: The Parish and the Church, Edinburgh: St Philip's Joppa Parish Church, 1976, p. 61.