M268 Alterations and additions to Lenzie United Free ChurchAddress: 65, Kirkintilloch Road, Lenzie G66 4LD
Client: Trustees of Lenzie United Free Church
The church now known as Lenzie Union Parish Church was designed by Campbell Douglas & Sellars of Glasgow and opened in 1875. 1 It was founded under the auspices of the United Presbyterian Church, but was originally called Lenzie Union Church, in anticipation of eventual union between the United Presbyterians and the Free Church. When this was finally achieved in 1900, it became Lenzie United Free Church. The church served an expanding residential district about 9 km N.E. of Glasgow, centred on a railway station which made the area attractive to commuters. 2 Due to increasing membership, the congregation decided in 1906 to extend the building by adding a N. aisle or transept. One of the three-man subcommittee responsible for selecting an architect was the Glasgow photographer and Lenzie resident James Craig Annan (1864–1946), for whom Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh had recently designed new premises at 518 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. 3 This connection may have recommended the practice for the Lenzie job. The original church was a simple Gothic Revival oblong with windows of plate tracery. Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh replaced the E. end of the N. wall with an arcade of cylindrical columns and pointed arches, opening into the new aisle. The aisle has windows with the same simple tracery as the original church, and each bay has a pitched roof with the ridge at right angles to the nave, making three external gables.
Authorship: It is clear from the Session minutes that the partner responsible for the new aisle was John Keppie. It may be significant that he had begun his career as a pupil in the office of Campbell Douglas & Sellars, architects of the original church. Keppie attended preliminary meetings to discuss his plans with the congregation, and was formally appointed architect by the building committee on 2 May 1906. 4 An inscription on one of the drawings approved by Kirkintilloch Dean of Guild Court may be in Mackintosh's hand, but there is no other evidence that he was involved in the project.
Alternative names: Lenzie United Presbyterian Church, Lenzie Union Church.
- Alternative addresses:
- Moncrieff Avenue
Cost from office job book: £1467 3s 4d
Cost from other sources: £1740 0s 0d, including 'structural alterations and subsequent cleaning and painting of the whole church' 5
Status: Standing building
Current name: Lenzie Union Parish Church
Current use: Church (2014)
RCAHMS Site Number: NS67SE 121
Grid Reference: NS 65437 72150
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.923516, lng = -4.155117 (Map)
1: Glasgow Herald, 23 November 1874, p. 4; 9 August 1875, p. 4.
2: Gathered Leaves: The Jubilee Book of the Lenzie United Free Church, Glasgow: Bone & Hulley, 1925, p. 3.
3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Lenzie Union Church Session minutes, CH3/644/2, 12 March 1906.
4: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Lenzie Union Church Session minutes, CH3/644/2, 4 April 1906; 2 May 1906.
5: Gathered Leaves: The Jubilee Book of the Lenzie United Free Church, Glasgow: Bone & Hulley, 1925, p. 22.