M271 Mossyde, KilmacolmAddress: Cloak Road, Kilmacolm PA13 4SD
Date: 1906–7; 1908–9; 1912–15
Client: H. B. Collins
Mossyde was built in three phases. First came a square, rubble-built cottage, which was later enlarged in two stages to form a substantial T-plan house. It is exceptional among Mackintosh's works for its simple, vernacular character.
Authorship: There is good evidence that Mackintosh was responsible for all three phases of the house: he signed the drawings for the first two phases and wrote the job-book entries for them, and he is named as architect of the third phase in the county planning authority's register of new buildings. He made a written record of a site visit in his Sketcher's Notebook in 1913, which appears to confirm that he designed the third phase.
Alternative names: Balgray Cottage, Cloak, Cloak Cottage, Cloak House, Mosside, Ploughman's Cottage.
Cost from office job book: Phase 1: 'about £500 0s 0d'; Phase 2: £1181 8s 2d; 1 Phase 3: £711 19s 2d
Status: Standing building
Current use: Residential
Listing category: B: listed as 'Cloak'
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 12462
RCAHMS Site Number: NS37SE 60
Grid Reference: NS 35298 71989
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.912695, lng = -4.636743 (Map)
1: This excludes £88 2s 7d in architects' fees.