M284 Alterations to Rothesay Parish United Free ChurchAddress: Castle Street, Rothesay, Isle of Bute PA20 9HA
Client: Rothesay Parish United Free Church
Designed by the celebrated Aberdeen architect Archibald Simpson (1790–1847), this Gothic Revival church with a prominent tower and spire opened in 1845 as Rothesay Free Parish Church. In 1907 the roof collapsed. It was replaced by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh with a new hammerbeam roof with Gothic details. At the same time, a wrought-iron finial was added to the spire.
Authorship: John Keppie was responsible for the work carried out in 1907. His name, and not the practice name of Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, appears in the minutes of the Deacons' Court, which was responsible for overseeing the repair of the church.
Alternative names: Rothesay Free Parish Church.
Cost from office job book: £2007 18s 10d
Status: Standing building
Current name: Rothesay Trinity Church
Current use: Church (2014)
Listing category: B
Historic Scotland/HB Number: 43854
RCAHMS Site Number: NS06SE 245
Grid Reference: NS 08930 64510
GPS coordinates: lat = 55.835873, lng = -5.052697 (Map)