Additions and alterations to 3 Woodside Place

M295 Additions and alterations to 3 Woodside Place

Address: 3, Woodside Place, Glasgow G3 7QF
Date: 1909–11
Client: Dr Thomas Kay
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh made additions and alterations to this house and its former stables for Dr Thomas Kay; Woodside Place had been built in 1838, to a design by George Smith. The work involved consulting rooms, a new link corridor, additional bedrooms, bathroom facilities and laundry. The commission coincided with Kay's first appearance at this address in the Glasgow Post Office Directory. 1 A few years earlier, the practice had carried out similar work for his next-door neighbour at 4 Woodside Place, Dr James Henderson Nicoll, which probably influenced Kay's choice of architect.

Initial plans approved by the Dean of Guild Court were revised to provide additional rooms and make changes to the proposed internal layout. Wood panelling and elaborate 17th-century style stone and wood chimneypieces were fitted in the hall, which served as Dr Kay's waiting room, and in the library. The unusual part-convex, part-concave form of the new hall and library door jambs are comparable to those at a slightly earlier house, Wilmar, Skelmorlie.

A drawing of the interior was exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy in 1911 (457) and at the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1914 (136).

Authorship: Ronald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture, included Woodside Place on a list he compiled in the 1930s of drawings produced in the office during Mackintosh's time. Harrison may have believed that Mackintosh made the drawings on the list, or that he contributed to the design of these buildings in some way, but no evidence has come to light to support this attribution.

Cost from office job book: £2554 5s 4d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Woodside Business Centre (2014)

Current use: Serviced offices

Listing category: A: Listed as '1-28 (inclusive nos.) Woodside Place and 138, 140 Elderslie Street'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32270

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 3314

Grid Reference: NS 57870 66099

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.867043, lng = -4.272835   (Map)

Notes:

1: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1909–10, p. 357.