Drill hall at St George's Road School

M158 Drill hall at St George's Road School

Address: St George's Road, Glasgow
Date: 1898
Client: School Board of Glasgow
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie's drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court show that the new drill hall was to be constructed in a yard E. of St George's Road United Presbyterian Church, adjacent to the school, using existing walls and a concrete floor. One new wall would be built and the partially glazed roof supported on one side on new iron columns. Although the Dean of Guild Court approved the plans, the work is not recorded in the practice's job books. However, a hall does appear on later O.S. maps, presumably built by other architects.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Status: Demolished

Grid Reference: NS 5836 6670 (approximate)

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.872583, lng = -4.265326   (Map)