Alterations to 4 Blythswood Square

M307 Alterations to 4 Blythswood Square

Address: 4, Blythswood Square, Glasgow G2 4AD
Date: 1911
Client: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, Warneuke W McPhie
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court show alterations to the N.-facing roof and to the window of a large first-floor studio at the rear of the building. The roof was reconstructed with a steeper pitch, a roof-light inserted, and the window heightened. The client and building owner was photographer William M. Warneuke, who in 1911 had premises in Sauchiehall Street, but had previously worked from this address. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Status: Standing building substantially altered internally

Current use: Offices (2014)

Listing category: B: Listed as '1–7 (inclusive nos.) Blythswood Square and 112 Douglas Street'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32975

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 249

Grid Reference: NS 58478 65751

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.864097, lng = -4.262946   (Map)

Notes:

1: In 1900–1 Warneuke worked from 4 Blythswood Square and 153 Sauchiehall Street. Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1900–1, p. 628; by 1911 he was working at 127 Sauchiehall Street only. Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1910–11, p. 687. Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh moved from 4 Blythswood Square in summer 1911; on 28 July a payment to the National Telephone Company for 'shifting to new offices' is recorded in the firm's cash book. The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh / Keppie Henderson cash book, 1889–1917, GLAHA 53079, p. 143.