Alterations and additions to Monktonmiln, Prestwick

M204 Alterations and additions to Monktonmiln, Prestwick

Address: Monkton
Date: 1901–3
Client: Finlay Bell
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh made major alterations to this large house and its outbuildings north of Monkton, Ayrshire, for Finlay Bell, a Glasgow butcher and businessman. 1 The work appears to have been largely internal – the footprint of the house on the O.S. map did not change following the work – and included a billiard room, a conservatory, and repairs to the house, laundry, stables, engine house and gardener's house. By 1960, the house had been demolished to make way for the expansion of Prestwick Airport. 2

Authorship: Ronald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture, included 'Findlay Bell, Monkton Miln' on a list he compiled in the 1930s of drawings produced in the office during Mackintosh's time. Harrison may have believed that Mackintosh made the drawings on the list, or that he contributed to the design of these buildings in some way, but no evidence has come to light to support this attribution.

Alternative names: Monkton Miln.

Cost from office job book: £4096 17s 10½d

Status: Demolished by 1960

Grid Reference: NS 3501 2737

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.512139, lng = -4.614423   (Map)

Notes:

1: Previously the house seems to have belonged to a large estate which also included Fairfield House, Fairfield Farm and West Orangefield House (all demolished). Ayr Carnegie Library: Ayrshire Valuations Rolls, Kyle District, Monkton Parish, 1900–1, pp. 205–6; 1901–2, p. 206; 1905–6, p. 206.

2: In correspondence of 1958–60 between Ayrshire County Council and the Ministry of Aviation regarding a third fuel storage tank installation, Monktonmiln is mentioned as the site of similar, exisiting storage tanks. Auchencruive, Ayr, South Ayrshire Archives: Ayrshire County Council Prestwick Airport sub-committee minutes, CO3/8/5/36, 29 June 1960.