Additions and alterations to 220 St Vincent Street

M063 Additions and alterations to 220 St Vincent Street

Address: 220, St Vincent Street, Glasgow G2 5SG
Date: 1891–2
Client: Alexander Miller, Brother & Co.
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie converted this former private house into business premises for Alexander Miller, Brother & Co., Africa merchants. 1 Drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court show a new single-storey building with partially glazed pitched roof at the N. added between the existing house and outbuildings in which there was a counting house. The addition was connected to the house via a short glazed corridor. Minor alterations were also made to the internal layout of the house, and W.C.s and safes were installed. The building was altered in 1932 by James Miller. By 1987, the interior had been comprehensively remodelled by Keppie, Henderson & Partners; the stone facade to St Vincent Street was retained. 2

John Honeyman & Keppie carried out alterations at Lyndhurst, the house of company partner George Miller, in 1895–6. 3

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: £904 1s 3½d

Status: Standing building; interior remodelled

Current name: 220 St Vincent Street

Current use: Commercial (2014)

Listing category: B: Listed as '202–28 (even nos) St Vincent Street'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 33163

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 470

Grid Reference: NS 58521 65558

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.862237, lng = -4.262427   (Map)

Notes:

1: In 1890–1, a Mrs William Connal was living at this address. Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1891–2, p. 846. By 1892–3 the building was occupied by Alexander Miller, Brother & Co.: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1892–3, p. 872.

2: Historic Scotland, listed building report 33163; Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, p. 236.

3: In 1892–3 George Miller is described as being 'of Alex. Miller, Brother & Co.', suggesting he held a senior position: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1892–3, p. 443.