John & James Andrews

Masons and brickwork contractors

John & James Andrew (contemporary sources do not call them 'Andrews') were stonemasons in Monkton, near Prestwick in Renfrewshire, a settlement described in the Ayrshire Directory, 1851–2 as 'inhabited chiefly by an agricultural population'. 1 As with many small rural businesses, documentary evidence is scant, and with multiple members of the same family bearing the same names and following the same trade, its history can only be given in broad outline.

In the Ayr Observer's Directory for 1845, James Andrew is listed as a mason; he is joined by Alexander and David in the 1851 edition. This James Andrew let houses in Monkton that he had built himself, and in 1867 he tendered for the Ayr slaughterhouse. 2 Despite controversy over the slaughterhouse tender, the Andrew family won other local authority contracts, including one for building piped drainage in 1869. 3 Two of Alexander's sons followed him as stoneworkers in the late 1860s, including John A. Andrew (born c. 1846). A second John Andrew (born c. 1848), probably a cousin, did likewise. 4

By the 1890s, members of the family had migrated to Prestwick and Ayr, where they continued to work as stonemasons. The 'John & James Andrew, stonemasons, Monkton' who worked for John Honeyman & Keppie, had formed a partnership by 1903, when they advertised together in Slater's National Directory of Scotland. 5 It is not clear if they were brothers or cousins.

Notes:

1: Ayrshire Directory, 1851–2, p. 302, at www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Ayrshire [accessed 16 April 2012].

2: Glasgow Herald, 31 May 1867, p. 1; Glasgow Herald, 18 June 1867, p. 2.

3: Glasgow Herald, 9 September 1869, p. 4.

4: Censuses 1851–1901, at www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 18 April 2012].

5: Slater's Royal National Directory of Scotland, Ayrshire Section, 1903, Part 1, p. 307.