D. Campbell & Sons

Painters

Donald Campbell established his own painting firm around 1908 at 159 Renfield Street, Glasgow. 1 For the previous decade he had been employed by Glaswegian painters and decorators, Charles Carlton & Son. 2 By 1913, Campbell was working out of the same office building as architects Watson & Salmond. 3

In 1914, Campbell opened a second office in the rapidly-growing new suburbs around Anniesland, on the western edge of Glasgow, trading as both D. Campbell & Son, and Donald Campbell & Son. 4 From that time, all of their business was concentrated in Crow Road. Donald appears to have died in the early 1920s and his son continued the company until 1940, when it disappears from the records. 5

Notes:

1: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1908–9.

2: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1898–9; 1906–7.

3: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1911–12; Glasgow Valuation Roll 1913–14, Ward 11, p. 051, www.theglasgowstory.com/valsearch.php [accessed 10 December 2011].

4: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1914–15.

5: Glasgow Telephone Directories, 1920–41, at British Phone Books, 1880–1984, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 11 December 2011].