R. Cochran

Pottery manufacturer

Whether the Anderson's College foundation-stone commemorative jar made by 'R. Cochran' c. 1888 was glass or earthenware makes little difference, as the two candidates for its manufacture were related companies. Both were run by the descendants of brothers Alexander and Robert Cochran, who were born near Dumbarton at the turn of the 19th century. 1 Robert's sons ran 'Robert Cochran & Co.' and the Verreville (Glebe Street, Springburn) and Britannia (Elliot Street, Finnieston) Potteries. 2 Alexander's family split from the earthenware concerns in 1867, and concentrated on 'A. & R. Cochran', of the St Rollox Flint Glass Works. 3 The company histories are further confused by the glassworks and one of the potteries (Britannia) being adjacent to each other. A. & R. Cochran made glassware for Lord Kelvin's scientific experiments, 4 and their site was eventually purchased by the Britannia Pottery, which continued under new partners as 'the principal industrial art pottery' in Scotland, until the 1930s. 5

Notes:

1: Census 1861, Scotland, Robert Cochran, Reg. No. 644/6, Dist Blythswood, Par Glasgow Barony, 9 Elmbank Cres., Roll CSSCT1861_105; Alexander Cochran, Reg. No. 644/2, Dist High Church, Par. Glasgow Inner High, 20 Townmill Rd, Roll CSSCT1861_98, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 16 September 2011].

2: Henry Kelly, 'The Life of Robert Cochran of Verreville and Britannia Potteries', Scottish Industrial History, 18, 1996, pp. 8–10; Henry Kelly, Scottish Ceramics, Anglen, PA: Schiffer, 1999, pp. 33–5.

3: Edinburgh Gazette, 24 May 1867, p. 591; Glasgow and Its Environs, London: Stratten, 1891, p. 162.

4: National Archives of Scotland, RH4/199/3, bundle 22, no. 30; bundle 14, no. 2; bundle 25, no. 6.

5: Henry Kelly, Scottish Ceramics, Anglen, PA: Schiffer, 1999, p. 35; Graham Cruickshank, Scottish Pottery, Princes Risborough: Shire, 2005, p. 51.