Fyfe & Allan

Plumbers, gasfitters and bell hangers

Plumbers and gasfitters Fyfe & Allan, of Newton Street, Glasgow, consisted of half-brothers William Fyfe (born c. 1850) and William Allan (born c. 1860). 1 During the 1870s, both were apprenticed to their father/stepfather, master plumber James Allan. Fyfe set up his own business in Glasgow around 1878, to be joined by the younger Allan in 1881. 2 Three years later, they opened a branch in Strone, near the Clyde resort of Dunoon, the home parish of Fyfe's wife. 3 However, in 1887, William Allan, 'having resolved to go abroad', left the partnership. He also quit his father's former company, Wallace & Allan, plumbers in Langholm, Dumfriesshire. 4

As sole partner of both firms, Fyfe obtained professional registration (a quality assurance scheme) in 1888. 5 His apprentices won prizes for technical proficiency, and in 1894, Fyfe & Allan became a limited company. 6 Fyfe ran the Dumfries and Argyle branches until around 1910, when he suffered bankruptcy, and his businesses were wound up between 1911 and 1912. 7

The firm's contracts included the installation of pipes in St Aloysius Roman Catholic Church, Springburn (Bruce & Sturrock, 1882); and in the new the Renfrew and Clydebank Joint Hospital (now Blawarthill Hospital, 1895–7). 8 In 1900, they completed two projects in Motherwell: offices at Colville's Dalzell Steel Works (Robert Harvie, 1898–1900); and the Chapel of Our Lady of Good Aid (Pugin & Pugin). 9

Notes:

1: Census 1851–1901, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 13 February 2013].

2: Glasgow Post Office directories, 1860–1914; Census 1851–1901, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 13 February 2013].

3: Glasgow Post Office directories, 1860–1914; Census 1851–1901, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 13 February 2013].

4: Edinburgh Gazette, 2 March 1888, p. 222.

5: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1888–9, p. 267.

6: Glasgow Herald, 26 April 1889, p. 11; Dundee Courier, 7 April 1894, p. 3.

7: Edinburgh Gazette, 23 May 1911, p. 527; 7 May 1912, p. 487; 31 May 1912, p. 566; 18 June 1912, p. 634.

8: Glasgow Herald, 8 September 1882, p. 9; 13 August 1895, p. 9.

9: Motherwell Times, 30 March 1900, p. 3; 14 December 1900, p. 3.