Glasgow Art Club
Glasgow Art Club was founded by William Dennistoun and several friends in 1867. These amateur artists first met to draw and paint at Dennistoun's cottage at Old Kilpatrick, west of Glasgow. The Club was officially launched from the Waverley Temperance Hotel in Buchanan Street, where monthly meetings were held and members presented their work. Professional artists joined the Club during the 1870s and meetings moved to another Waverley Hotel, in Sauchiehall Street. Rooms were then rented at the Royal Hotel, George Square.
62 Bothwell Circus was the first permanent home of the Club, from 1878. Reflecting the emergent public interest in the arts, lay members were admitted to the Club from the mid-1880s although amid heated debate. This growth in membership led the Club to rent a larger property at 151 Bath Street. In late 1891, under president Dr Charles Blatherwick, John Keppie and three other Club members were appointed to a special sub-committee to investigate the possibility of the Club acquiring its own premises. Adjacent houses at 187–191 Bath Street were purchased in 1892 and the new Club House was opened in June 1893. This building has remained the home of the Club and only a few alterations have been made in over a century.
Since 1983 Club has admitted female artist and lay members.