James Hamilton

Client

James Hamilton (born c. 1862) was Mackintosh's first cousin, his mother, Marjory, being the youngest sister of Mackintosh's father. 1 She married the carting contractor Gavin Hamilton (born c. 1826), of the firm J. & G. Hamilton, a business which had existed from at least the early 1870s in Fountainwell Road, Sighthill. 2 The depot and stables, rebuilt on an unusual triangular plan c. 1877, were finally demolished in 1967. 3 .

By the time of the 1881 census, Gavin and Marjory Hamilton and their eight children were living at 1 Mosesfield Terrace, in the industrial suburb of Springburn. 4 The census records James's occupation as 'ironmonger's assistant (salesman)', but from 1887–8, the Glasgow Post Office Directory shows him working for the family carting business. Mosesfield Terrace, later renamed Balgrayhill Road, was the affluent end of late 19th-century Springburn. In 1884, James was secretary of the local Albany lawn tennis club, whose courts were at Balgray Hill, and whose membership was limited to 'twenty-four gentlemen'. 5

In 1902, J. & G. Hamilton was sold, and James Hamilton's involvement in the business ceased. 6 By 1904–5, he is listed in the directory as Glasgow agent for the Sheffield steel manufacturers J. A. Webster & Sons. By 1910, he appears to have retired.

Notes:

1: Information from Iain Paterson.

2: Glasgow Post Office directories.

3: John R. Hume, Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow and London: Blackie, 1974, p. 169.

4: Census 1881, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 18 July 2012].

5: Charles Kirkwood, Kirkwood's Dictionary of Glasgow and Vicinity, Glasgow: Strathern & Co., 1884, p. 96.

6: Edinburgh Gazette, 12 December 1902, p. 1327.