Daniel McCallum

Mason and brickwork contractor

Daniel McCallum (sometimes referred to as Daniel McCallum & Son around 1890) was a firm of masons and builders, owned by a Glasgow father-and-son partnership. McCallum Senior (c. 1823–90) ran a mason's yard in Anderston, Glasgow, in 1868, before taking over a builder's premises at 140 Bothwell Street, where the firm remained for over 40 years. In the 1860s, its neighbours were principally other construction-related businesses. By 1871, McCallum employed 13 men and two boys; ten years later this had increased to 27 men and two boys. McCallum's second son, Daniel Junior (c. 1855–1922), joined his father around 1870 and inherited the firm in 1890. 1

McCallum Senior invested in two tenements, containing 28 flats, opposite the future site of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. McCallum Junior, typically for a successful tradesmen, moved his family from the city centre to the suburb of Pollokshields in the early 20th century.

Notes:

1: Census, death, will and testament information, www.ancestry.co.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 27 and 28 June 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1863–9.