McGeoch & Co.

Ironmongers

Colour photograph of William McGeoch & Co.'s invoice for electric flex and adaptors for the Glasgow School of Art, 1910

The Glasgow manufacturing, retail and wholesale ironmongers William McGeoch & Co. (later ‘Ltd’) was established by William McGeoch Senior (born Wigtonshire, c. 1808–1896), who opened an ironmongery in his own name at 113 Trongate in the early 1830s and remained there until the 1880s. By 1855, he employed Alexander Davie, and during the 1860s his sons, William Junior (born c. 1842) and Andrew Jackson (born c. 1846), joined the firm which then became ‘& Co.’ By the 1880s, they had separate retail and wholesale warehouses, the latter at Morrison’s Court, 108 Argyle Street. 1 From 1881 onwards, McGeoch's acquired several franchises, including one for the Patent Enamel Co., Birmingham.

Davie left the company in 1884, taking the original shop at 113 Argyle Street, and formed Alex. Davie & Co.. In the 1890s, William McGeoch Junior opened William McGeoch, Kemp & Co., and after Davie’s death in 1900, reacquired Davie’s company in 1902 as a subsidiary of McGeoch's. 2 William retired in 1902 and the third generation of the family ran branches of the firm in Glasgow, London, Newcastle and Birmingham (Warwick Works lamp and brass foundry). 3

B/W Advertisement for McGeoch  & Co B/W Advertisement for McGeoch & Co., 'Glasgow Building Trades Exchange', 1896, p. 201B/W Advertisement for McGeoch & Co., 'Glasgow Building Trades Exchange', 1896, p. 174

Notes:

1: Death and will information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 31 July 2012]; census information, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 1 August 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1830–91; Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1855–6, p. 225.

2: Death information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 31 July 2012]; Edinburgh Gazette, 2 January 1903, p. 11.

3: Glasgow Post Office directories, 1830–1914.