McKenzie & Co.

Furniture makers

Furniture makers McKenzie & Co. of Stewarton, Ayrshire, originated in the partnership between two brothers-in-law, William McLelland (born in Beith, Ayrshire c. 1869), and McIntosh McKenzie (born in Wick, Caithness, c. 1868). In 1891, McKenzie (a joiner's son) and his new wife were living in Beith, a centre for the cabinetmaking trade, with her father, who was a 'labourer in a cabinet works'. The partnership of McLelland & McKenzie, Cabinetmakers, Stewarton, was dissolved in 1898, and McKenzie continued under his own name. Shortly afterwards, he adopted Henry Thomson as partner, but he too retired in 1901. McKenzie sold the company to Archibald McFie Robertson in 1908, who kept on the name McKenzie & Co. until around 1912 when it was no longer listed. 1

Notes:

1: Census information, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 13 July 2012]; Edinburgh Gazette, 7 June 1898, p. 575; 15 March 1901, p. 316; 24 November 1908, p. 1297; British Telephone Directories Collection, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 13 July 2012].