John McOwat & Son

Slaters

Alexander McOuat (c. 1834–1902) joined the existing six employees of his father, John McOuat's, Glasgow slater's firm in 1851–2 to form John McOuat & Son. 1 He was later joined by his own sons Matthew, John and William. The firm was based in densely-populated London Street (now a continuation of London Road), one of the oldest areas of the city's East End, from its beginnings until 1940. 2

McOuat’s projects included Kirk Street Labourers' Dwellings, Calton, for the City Improvement Trust (1895), Alexandra Parade United Presbyterian Church, session house and vestry (Alexander Petrie, 1893–5), and two-storey hospital extensions at Merryflats, Govan (H. & D. Barclay, 1899). 3 The firm appeared in the press when accidents resulted in court cases being brought by injured workers, as happened during alterations at Crownpoint Flour Mills (1895), and roofing tenements in Murano Street, Glasgow (1899). 4

Notes:

1: Death and census information, www.ancestry.co.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 16 July 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1850–4.

2: Post Office Telephone Directory, vol. 5, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc., January 1940, Section 48, p. 174, and census information, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 16 July 2012].

3: Glasgow Herald, 19 April 1895, p. 9; 4 February 1895, p. 6; 16 June 1899, p. 8.

4: Glasgow Herald, 23 May 1896, p. 9; 21 February 1899, p. 9.