The Metallic Art Co.

Metalwork manufacturers

The Metallic Art Company was founded in Glasgow around 1890 by Henry Grant Hannan 'to supply bronze and other castings ... [using] the processes of the Smith Brothers ... of Passaic, N[ew] J[ersey], with whom Mr Hannan received his training'. Its products ranged from sculptured memorials, to makers' name-plates for heavy-engineering machinery. They could reproduce relief portraits and medallions from photographs, and were also early pioneers of stamping and casting aluminium. 1

The company showed a bronze Biblical relief at the Edinburgh International Exhibition of 1890, and cast explorer Henry Morton Stanley’s portrait for the Royal Geographical Society. 2 The firm aided Glasgow’s export trade making ‘stencils, brands, stamps for bales, boxes, casks’, and by 1893 had become ‘furnishers to the Admiralty’, duly receiving Government orders for ‘many thousands of name plates’ in 1900. 3

In 1899, Norman R. Johnstone retired from the partnership and Hannan continued alone based at 53 Waterloo Street and 212 Old Dumbarton Road. 4 The firm advertised in 1910 as 'brass and bronze founders, engravers, office name-plate makers, … with raised or sunk letters … [manufacturers of] memorial tablets for churches … workmen’s time checks, numbers for houses'. 5 The Metallic Art Co. Ltd entered voluntary liquidation in 1930. 6

Notes:

1: Glasgow and its Environs: A Literary, Commercial and Social Review, London: Stratten & Stratten, 1891, p. 95. (Worked aluminium was prohibitively expensive before new processes were developed in the late 1880s).

2: Glasgow Herald, 28 June 1890, p. 9; Glasgow and its Environs: A Literary, Commercial and Social Review, London: Stratten & Stratten, 1891, p. 95.

3: Glasgow Herald, 10 January 1891, p. 2; 27 December 1900, p. 7.

4: Edinburgh Gazette, 28 April 1899, p. 430.

5: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1910–11.

6: Edinburgh Gazette, 19 September 1930, p. 1032; 10 July 1931, p. 786.