William Miller

Mason

William Miller (c. 1841–1913) was originally in partnership with his brother Peter (c. 1847–1900), as W. & P. Miller, masons, builders and house-agents, in Kelvinside, Glasgow. 1 The brothers had followed their father's line of work: he was stone-quarrier in Caithness, and migrated south as 'stone-cutters', or masons, settling in Partick and Hillhead by 1880. 2

The Millers' partnership ended in 1895. 3 William moved to builder's yards in Kirklee Road (c. 1896), and then in Horslethill Road (c. 1901), both in the West End. 4 In accordance with his increasing success, Miller graduated from living in flats above shops, to wider streets with front gardens, eventually residing in a spacious apartment with Glasgow Style decoration at Beaumont Gate. 5

William was heavily involved in municipal politics, standing for Partick Burgh Council in 1891, and Govan School Board in 1906. 6 He campaigned during general elections, became a Justice of the Peace, and was a Lanarkshire County Councillor (1907). 7

Notes:

1: Glasgow Herald, 28 April 1913, p. 1; death information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 27 July 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1879–1914.

2: Death information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 27 July 2012]. Glasgow Post Office Directory , 1880–1.

3: Edinburgh Gazette 14 June 1895, p. 967.

4: Glasgow Post Office directories, 1879–1914.

5: Glasgow Post Office directories, 1879–1914.

6: Glasgow Herald, 30 October 1891, p. 7; Scotsman, 23 March 1906, p. 9.

7: Glasgow Herald, 6 July 1895, pp. 9–10; 19 July 1895, p. 7; 20 July 1895, p. 7;Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1907–8, p. 1681; Scotsman, 20 November 1907, p. 12.