James Morrison

Joiner and wright

Joiner James Morrison (c. 1844–1908) was the younger brother of John Morrison, founder of Morrison & Mason, one of Victorian Glasgow's largest building contractors. Their stonemason father had moved from Dunoon to Glasgow in the 1850s, where James became a joiner and letting rooms to make extra money. 1

By 1881, James employed 13 men and five apprentices and in 1883–9 acted as sub-contactor to Morrison & Mason on the construction of Glasgow City Chambers. In the 1900s, he occupied premises alongside his brother's in Jessie Street, Polmadie. 2

James's sons James F. and John Y. Morrison took over the firm after his death. 3 When Glasgow City Chambers were extended in 1920, James Morrison & Sons were contractors for the carpenter, joiner and ironmonger works. 4

Notes:

1: Census and death information, www.ancestry.co.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 27, 28 and 29 July 2012]; Gary Nisbet, 'Morrison & Mason Ltd (fl. 1870–1921', Glasgow City of Sculpture Database, 2001–12, www.glasgowsculpture.com [accessed 30 July 2012].

2: Census information, www.ancestry.co.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 28 and 30 July 2012]; Glasgow Herald, 31 August 1889, p. 4; Valuation Rolls 1913–14, www.theglasgowstory.com [accessed 30 July 2012].

3: Edinburgh Gazette, 27 October 1908, p. 1159.

4: Scotsman, 20 October 1920, p. 8.