Alterations to 354 Dumbarton Road, Partick

M321 Alterations to 354 Dumbarton Road, Partick

Address: 354, Dumbarton Road, Glasgow G11 6TG
Date: 1912–13
Client: Mrs Scott Louden or Thomson; James McMichael
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh made alterations to a ground-floor shop and to first-floor flats in Partick which included removing a connecting staircase and reconfiguring the layout of the flats. New W.C.s, bathrooms, fireplaces and other fittings were also installed. This was one of numerous tenement improvement projects carried out by the practice for house factor James McMichael & Son.

While this work was being carried out, the Burgh of Partick was incorporated into the city of Glasgow: the planning application was submitted to the Burgh of Partick Dean of Guild Court; documents certifying the work as satisfactory and complete were signed by Glasgow authorities. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative addresses:
2–4 Fortrose Street

Cost from office job book: 623 6s 11d

Status: Standing building

Current use: Residential and commercial (2014)

Grid Reference: NS 5572 6660

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.870902, lng = -4.307428 (Map)

Notes:

1: See drawings submitted to Burgh of Partick Dean of Guild Court, Glasgow City Archives Collection: Burgh of Partick Dean of Guild Court plans, H-PAR39/1912/26, and Glasgow Master of Works and Burgh of Partick Sanitary Department certificates located with the drawings.