Queen Margaret College Anatomical Department

M094 Queen Margaret College Anatomical Department

Address: Queen Margaret Drive, Glasgow G12 8DG
Date: 1894–5
Client: University of Glasgow
Authorship: Authorship category 1 (Mackintosh) (Mackintosh)

Colour photograph of S. elevation, Queen Margaret College medical building

1884
Queen Margaret College opens at North Park House, Queen Margaret Drive. Princess Louise is patron.
1890
Glasgow Royal Infirmary agrees to admit female students; Queen Margaret College medical school admits its first students.
11 April: Mrs Janet (Jessie) Campbell writes to Isabella Elder outlining her ideas for a school of medicine and its cost of not more than 2000. 1
1891
14 December: Isabella Elder writes to Janet Campbell about the need to provide a 'properly equipped' building for the medical school. 2
1892
Queen Margaret College incorporated into the University of Glasgow; female students continue to be taught separately.
23 May: Janet Galloway writes to the trustees of the Bellahouston Bequest Fund seeking financial support for the construction of the medical school building. 3
1894
Capital grant of 5000 awarded by the Bellahouston Bequest Fund towards the erection and equipping of buildings at Queen Margaret College for medical and scientific instruction.
17 April: University of Glasgow Court authorises Works Committee to 'approve Mr Honeyman to prepare plans for an anatomy and possibly also physiology department' on the condition that comparable new buildings at Oxford and Newcastle are inspected. 4
12 May: John Honeyman writes to the University Court outlining his plans for work on the new building at Queen Margaret College. 5
12 June: John Honeyman & Keppie submit drawings and a description of their design to the University Court. 6
9 August: John Keppie attends meeting of University Court. Plans for the new building at Queen Margaret College are inspected and approved. The Works Committee authorised to accept tenders for construction of the building. 7
27 August: Contractor tenders submitted. 8
13 September: Plans approved by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 9
1895
Mackintosh's perspective exhibited at Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts and published in Academy Architecture. 10
18 November: official opening. 11
5 December: Work signed off by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 12
1896
4 May: Many contractors paid. 13
27 December: Latest payment to contractor. 14
1926–9
Queen Margaret Drive Bridge built. New road created between North Park House and Kibble Palace. 15
1935
Male and female students taught together throughout the University: Queen Margaret College becomes obsolete. College buildings sold. 16
1938
18 November: Official opening of former Queen Margaret College buildings and new additions by architect James Miller as the BBC's headquarters in Scotland. The College buildings had been 'modified internally to suit the needs of broadcasting'. 17
1960s–90s
BBC site extended to E. taking in former Hillhead Bowling Club and Kelvinside Nursery in the 1960s. Numerous masonry and prefabricated structures constructed.
2007
BBC relocates to a new building at Pacific Quay. All structures except North Park House, Miller's 1930s additions to it and the Anatomical Department are demolished by 2010. The N.E. section of the building – originally the dissecting room – and the pitched roof and gable of the former museum at the S.E. are also demolished.
2012
December: The Anatomical Building, North Park House and Miller's 1930s building acquired by the G1 Group in late 2011. North Park House is once again a private residence; work is under way to refurbish the Miller building as offices; a planning application to redevelop the Anatomical Building within its original footprint has been submitted. 18

Notes:

1: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Queen Margaret College correspondence, letter from Janet Campbell to Isabella Elder, 11 April 1890, GB0248 DC122/8.

2: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Queen Margaret College correspondence, letter from Isabella Elder to Janet Campbell, 14 December 1891, GB0248 DC 122/8.

3: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Application to Bellahouston Bequest Fund Trustees, 23 May 1892, GB0248 DC233/2/6/2/3/2.

4: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Glasgow University Court minutes, GB0248 C1/1/4, 17 April 1894.

5: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Glasgow University Court, Works Committee folder, letter from John Honeyman to Alan E. Clapperton, Court secretary, 12 May 1894, GB0248 GUA 62836.

6: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Glasgow University Court, Works Committee folder, letter and description of design, both written by John Keppie, 12 June 1894, GB0248 GUA 62836.

7: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Glasgow University Court minutes, GB 0248 C1/1/4, 9 August 1894.

8: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, pp. 1, 3.

9: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court, Register of New Buildings, B4/11/1, Petitioner Queen Margaret College, 13 September 1894.

10: Glasgow Herald, 11 April 1895, p. 4; Academy Architecture, 7, January 1895, p. 70, and plans, p. 148.

11: Glasgow Herald, 19 November 1895, p. 4.

12: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court, Register of New Buildings, B4/11/1, Petitioners Queen Margaret College, 13 September 1894.

13: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, pp. 1, 2, 4, 6.

14: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, p. 6.

15: John R. Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow & London: Blackie, 1974, pp.107, 158.

16: J. D. Mackie, University of Glasgow 1451–1951: A Short History, Glasgow: Jackson, Son & Co., 1954, p. 305.

17: Official opening reported a week earlier in The Times, 11 November 1938.

18: Information supplied by Stefan King on visit on 14 December 2012.