Alterations and additions to 179 Bath Street

M108 Alterations and additions to 179 Bath Street

Address: 179, Bath Street, Glasgow G2 4EN
Date: 1895; 1898; 1902–3
Client: Dr John MacIntyre
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie made alterations and additions to the home of Dr John Macintyre over a period of nine years. In 1895, a new dining-room floor was fitted; in 1898, minor alterations to the stable and coach house, on the lane N. of the house, were carried out; and in 1902 a small addition was inserted between the house and the stable and coach house.

Drawings for the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in 1902 show that the addition included a waiting room with its own door to Mains (now Blythswood) Street. This new surgery was perhaps required by MacIntyre's private practice as an ear, nose and throat specialist for singers and actors. MacIntyre was also a pioneering radiologist and Glasgow Royal Infirmary's first medical electrician. He appears to have had an electrical laboratory at home: in 1903, painting was carried out in an 'electric room', as well as in the addition. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: 28 10s 0d; Phase 2: 48 17s 1d; Phase 3: 754 12s 6d

Status: Standing building; additions demolished

Current name: Edit 123 Television Facilities

Current use: Offices; television-production facilities (2014)

Grid Reference: NS 5851 6578

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.864442, lng = -4.262256 (Map)

Notes:

1: George Eyre-Todd, Who's Who in Glasgow in 1909, Glasgow: Gowans & Gray Ltd, 1909, p. 125; 'John Macintyre', The University of Glasgow Story, www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk [accessed 20 September 2012].