Gartconner Public School, Kirkintilloch

M141 Gartconner Public School, Kirkintilloch

Address: Gartshore Road, Kirkintilloch G66 3TH
Date: 1897
Client: Kirkintilloch School Board
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie appear to have added and fitted out new classrooms at this rural school.

Kirkintilloch School Board's founding members in 1873 included Leonard Gow, its first chairman, and a James Dalrymple of Woodhead. 1 In 1891, John Honeyman & Keppie built new premises for the Glasgow Canal Boatmen's Institute where Gow was the superintendent. In 1903, Dalrymple's nephew commissioned a brass memorial from the firm.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: 867 10s 7d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Gartconner Nursery; St Agatha's Primary School

Current use: Educational (2014)

Grid Reference: NS 6793 7367

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.937883, lng = -4.115901 (Map)

Notes:

1: Andrew Stewart, 'Schools and Schoolmasters', in John Horne, ed., Kirkintilloch, Kirkintilloch: Kirkintilloch Herald & D. MacLeod Ltd, 1910, p. 141.