Additions to 61–65 Dale Street

M114 Additions to 61–65 Dale Street

Address: 61–5, Dale Street, Glasgow
Date: 1895–6
Client: James McMichael & Sons
Authorship: Authorship category 3 (Office with Mackintosh) (Office with Mackintosh)

John Honeyman & Keppie made additions at the rear of two tenement buildings to provide W.C.s, on one building at the ground, first, second and third floors of each stairwell, on the other at the first to third floors in the form of an oriel. An ashpit and dividing wall were constructed in the back close. These additions were made in line with the 1892 Burgh Police (Scotland) Act which required that, where not already existing, an indoor water supply, water closets and drainage should be introduced to every domestic building. 1

Authorship: Although not yet a practice partner, Mackintosh signed one of the three drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court; the others are unsigned. Mackintosh does not appear to have been the draughtsman of the drawings.

Cost from office job book: 158 0s 0d

Status: Demolished

Grid Reference: NS 5841 6453

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.853115, lng = -4.263393 (Map)

Notes:

1: Para. 246, Ch. 55 Burgh Police (Scotland) Act 1892 in General Public Acts 55 & 56 Vict, HMSO, p. 462.