Bellahouston Dispensary

M136 Bellahouston Dispensary

Address: Morrison Street, Glasgow
Date: 1896–9
Client: Governors of Victoria Infirmary
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)
1892
July: Medical and Surgical Dispensary under the auspicies of the Victoria Infirmary opens in St James Street, Tradeston, Glasgow. The lease of the building and operation of the dispensary are made possible by a substantial gift from local M.P. Archibald Cameron Corbett and his family. 1
1895
5 December: Chairman of the Victoria Infirmary governors, Sir Renny Watson, reports to the Victoria Infirmary Annual Meeting that the Bellahouston Bequest Fund trustees have agreed a gift of 6000 for 'the establishment and equipment of a dispensary on the South Side'. The new dispensary will bear the name 'Bellahouston' in acknowledgement of the gift. 2
1896
29 January: The Victoria Infirmary Dispensary Committee are informed that their premises in St James Street have been leased to another tenant. Enquiries to be made into taking the lease on 7 Maxwelltown Place, Paisley Road, for one year with a view to purchase. 3
July: Temporary dispensary opens at 7 Maxwelltown Place following interior alterations to serve new function. 4
10 September: Enquiries reveal that the 'best modern dispensaries are to be found in London, Birmingham and Leeds'. A sub-committee is appointed to visit and report on them. The additional purchase of 8 Maxwelltown Place is delayed due to complications surrounding the terms of the sale. 5
2 November: The sub-committee concludes that 'a scheme on the lines of the Dispensary attached to the Great Northern Central Hospital, London' would be advantageous. A sketch plan for the new building is submitted, incorporating part of the house at 8 Maxwelltown Place and a new building on the vacant ground adjacent. The Dispensary Committee resolves to appoint John Keppie as architect and Henry Herbertson & Co. as measurers for the new building. 6
18 December: Dispensary Committee meets with Keppie. 7
1897
26 January: Keppie submits plans to the Dispensary Committee, who 'while approving generally of the internal arrangements proposed by the plans, suggested various amendments to the elevations to Morrison Street and Dundas Street, and on the roofs. Mr Keppie concurred in these amendments ...' 8
11 February: Amended plans submitted: 'further alterations on the front elevations suggested'. 9
7 May: Amended plans still deemed unsatisfactory. 'The Committee thought [the design] was still following out the old lines objected to and requested Sir Renny Watson to see Mr Keppie and instruct him to prepare something on entirely different lines'. 10
6 October: Keppie's plans approved with the exception of the first floor, to be altered to provide two flats – for the caretaker and the collector – rather than a board room and offices. The Dispensary Committee considers that 'the new building should be erected so as to be independent of the property fronting Maxwelltown Place'. 11
20 October: The Dispensary Committee instructs Keppie to proceed with completion of the plans. 12
1898
10 February: Tenders 'to be in the hands of the committee next week'. The Dispensary Committee is empowered by the governors to accept the tenders and proceed with the work. 13
March: Contractor tenders submitted. 14
24 March: Approval granted by Glagow Dean of Guild Court 'to make certain alterations to the existing buildings at 7 and 8 Maxwelltown Place, Kingston, Glasgow'. 15
13 April: Work on site under way. 16
11 August: 'Building at Dundas Street progressing'. 17
24 November: Interior work underway; 'lathing walls'. 18
1899
24 June: 'Finishing up'. 19
28 June: Bellahouston Dispensary opens. 20
1900
January: Final payments to contractors. 21
1954
Bellahouston Dispensary is described as 'clinic' on O.S. map.
By 1962
Demolished. In 1962–9 the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society constructs a new administration building, Centenary House, on the site. 22

Notes:

1: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Annual Report of the Victoria Infirmary, 1892, HB 23/2/1, p. 10.

2: Glasgow Herald, 6 December 1895, p. 10; Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Annual Report of the Victoria Infirmary, 1896, HB 23/2/1, pp. 10–11.

3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 29 January 1896; Maxwelltown Place was the section of Paisley Road between Dundas Street (Laidlaw Street since 1929) and Paterson Street. The streets are named on O.S., Lanarkshire VI.10 (City of Glasgow) (25 inch, 1st edn, 1858–65).

4: Glasgow Herald, 6 December 1895, p. 10; Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Annual Report of the Victoria Infirmary, 1896, HB 23/2/1, p. 11.

5: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 10 September 1896.

6: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 2 November 1896.

7: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 18 December 1896.

8: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 26 January 1897.

9: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 11 February 1897.

10: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 5, HB 23/1/5, 11 February 1897.

11: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 6, HB 23/1/6, 6 October 1897.

12: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 6, HB 23/1/6, 20 October 1897.

13: Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Victoria Infirmary, governors' minute book 6, HB 23/1/6, 10 February 1898.

14: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, pp. 141, 143, 145.

15: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court Master of Works' list of cases, D-OPW 18/9, 24 March 1898, no. 16.

16: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court Reports on Buildings, D-OPW 25/59, p. 103.

17: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court Reports on Buildings, D-OPW 25/59, p. 103.

18: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court Reports on Buildings, D-OPW 25/59, p. 110.

19: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court Reports on Buildings, D-OPW 25/59, p. 110.

20: Glasgow Herald, 29 June 1899, p. 10; Glasgow City Archives Collection: NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, Annual Report of the Victoria Infirmary, 1899, HB 23/2/2, p. 12.

21: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, p. 144; p. 146.

22: 'Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society Administration Building, Morrison Street', Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 14 March 2012].