Daily Record building

M182 Daily Record building

Address: 20, Renfield Lane, Glasgow G2 6PH
Date: 1900–1; 1903–4
Client: Daily Record proprietors
Authorship: Authorship category 1 (Mackintosh) (Mackintosh)

Colour photograph of roofline detail of S. elevation

1895
The Daily Record is first published by the Harmsworth brothers, later Lords Northcliffe and Rothermere, alongside the North British Daily Mail. The company has Glasgow premises at Union Street, Melville Lane and Frederick Lane. The printing works are located at the latter address. 1
1900
3 May: Building application submitted to Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. The case is continued until 17 May while further information is collected. 2
17 May: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court approves the work. 3
6 and 15 June: Contractor tenders accepted. 4
12 June: Work begins on site. 5
1901
27 May: The Daily Record reports that all departments of the newspaper have moved into the new building. The newspaper has been printed there since the previous week. 6
30 May: The lower floors of the building are complete and occupied. The third, fourth and fifth floors on W. remain incomplete. 7
10 June: North British Daily Mail and the Daily Record are amalgamated.
1902
31 March: Daily Record and Mail first published.
1903
29 October: Motion 'to extend time for lining granted by the Court on 17th May 1900' passed by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 8
12 November: Work on third, fourth and fifth floors in progress. 9
1904
11 May: Completion of interiors on third, fourth and fifth floors. 10
1906
5 March: Final inspection. 11
1908
Glasgow Weekly Mail is launched. It is soon known as the Weekly Record and Mail. 12
1911–12
Internal alterations and decoration completed by original contractors.
1914
Sunday Weekly Mail launched. From 1919 it is known as the Sunday Mail. 13
1919–21
25 June: Purchase of neighbouring building belonging to the Scottish Temperance League. Minor internal alterations to Daily Record building by Keppie Henderson. 14
Late 1920s
Acquisition of the Evening News by Associated Scottish Newspapers Ltd to which the Daily Record belonged. The company took on the Evening News premises in Hope Street. 15
1937
Extensive external and internal alterations by John Burnet, Son & Dick to transform the building into a clothing warehouse for R. W. Forsyth. 16
1984–6
Acquired by Scottish Mutual Assurance Society. Addition of bridge at second-floor height linking to headquarters building at 109 St Vincent Street and alterations to interior to accommodate an electricity board transformer, back-up computing equipment, storage and offices. Remedial work and exterior cleaning carried out in consultation with the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society. 17
1993
July: Minor alterations to reorganise second-floor spaces for Scottish Mutual Assurance Society. 18
2005–7
Renovation and interior alterations by property developer Stelmain. Café-bar and music venue, Stereo, opens in ground floor and basement in November 2007. By 2011 the first and second floors are let as serviced offices. 19

Notes:

1: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: 'A History of the Company and its Newspapers', supplied by Mr Rice, chief librarian at the Daily Record in 1991, p. 1.

2: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court proceedings, D-OPW 19/17, p. 163.

3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court proceedings, D-OPW 19/17, p. 163.

4: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, pp. 221, 223, 225.

5: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/2, p. 44.

6: Daily Record, 27 May 1901, p. 3.

7: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/2, p. 44.

8: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court proceedings, D-OPW 19/20, p. 68.

9: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/2, p. 44.

10: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/2, p. 44.

11: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/2, p. 44.

12: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: 'A History of the Company and its Newspapers', supplied by Mr Rice, chief librarian at the Daily Record in 1991, p. 1.

13: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: 'A History of the Company and its Newspapers' supplied by Mr Rice, chief librarian at the Daily Record in 1991, p. 1.

14: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53063, p. 62. The purchase of the building is noted in this job book. Details of tenders and payments for the alterations continue to p. 66 where a note reads 'transferred to new book, page 5', The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Keppie Henderson job book, GLAHA 53064. Payments were made to contractors during 1920 and 1921.

15: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: 'A History of the Company and its Newspapers', supplied by Mr Rice, chief librarian at the Daily Record in 1991, p. 1.

16: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court plans, B4/12/1937/440.

17: Colin Smith, 'Hi-Tech Refurb', Chartered Quantity Surveyor Journal, 7, May 1985, pp. 391–2; 'Record Renewed', Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Newsletter, 39, Winter 1984–5, p. 3.

18: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow District Council building control warrant drawings, GDC12/3/46/93/2219.

19: www.stereocafebar.com [accessed 3 May 2011].