Alterations to shop in Mains Street

M248 Alterations to shop in Mains Street

Address: Mains Street, Glasgow
Date: 1904
Client: Henderson's Trustees per MacDonald Smith and Co.
Authorship: Authorship category 3 (Office with Mackintosh) (Office with Mackintosh)

In August 1904 Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh carried out very minor, unspecified alterations to this unnamed shop in Mains Street. Between November that year and the following July they also carried out work at 229–233 Sauchiehall Street on the corner of Mains Street for Henry & Carruthers, ladies' tailors. The plans for Henry & Carruthers approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court also show alterations to a shop next door in Mains Street, and it is possible that this was the unnamed shop which had been altered in August 1904. The entire block of buildings on Sauchiehall Street and Mains Street, which includes the Willow Tea Rooms, was owned by the Henderson Trustees.

Authorship: The job-book entry is written entirely in Mackintosh's hand, and the work may be connected with alterations carried out slightly later at 229–233 Sauchiehall Street, for which one of the drawings is signed by Mackintosh.

Alternative addresses:
Blythswood Street

Cost from office job book: 3 12s 6d

Status: Untraced