Canal Boatmen's Institute

M053 Canal Boatmen's Institute

Address: 162, Port Dundas Road, Glasgow
Date: 1891–3
Client: Canal Boatmen's Society of Scotland; Leonard Gow, president of Glasgow branch
Authorship: Authorship category 2 (Mackintosh and Office) (Mackintosh and Office)
1891
7 September: 'Received letter from Mr King accepting our offer to do work at 5% not charging for preliminary sketches etc.' 1
20 October: 'At Committee meeting held in Major Allans office today present Major Allan Messrs Miller King Stout & Gilbert received instructions to accept the following offers at annexed rates.' W. & A. Taylor '20 less if Locharbriggs is used' 1941 7s 6d; Thomas Brown 1014 11s 0d; D. & R. Fulton 238 0s 0d; R. A. McGilvray & Ferris 'Plaster' 168 19s 10d; A. & D. MacKay 78 19s 10d; Galbraith & Winton 84 14s 3d; James Cormack & Sons Ltd 88 10s 3d; R. A. McGilvray & Ferris 'Carving' 22 17s 6d. 2
12 November: Drawings are approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 3
2 December: Work begins on site. 4
1892
11 October: Laying of memorial stone. 5
1893
20 June: Formal opening. 6
26 October: Work signed off by the Dean of Guild Court. 7
30 November: Canal Boatmen's Institute fully operational. 8
1896
October: Clock inserted in tower. 9
1899
Internal alterations. 10
1929
31 May: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court approval granted for extension of hall by Keppie & Henderson. Work completed by 1931. 11
1965
Institute building subject to Cowcaddens Compulsory Purchase Order No. 4. 12
1967
Demolition. 13

Notes:

1: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie visit book, GLAHA 53060, p. 16.

2: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie visit book, GLAHA 53060, p. 16.

3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, list of cases, 12 November 1891, D-OPW 19/12, p. 47.

4: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, register of inspections, D-OPW 25/63, p. 31.

5: Glasgow Herald, 12 October 1892, p. 4.

6: Glasgow Herald, 21 June 1893, p. 3.

7: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Dean of Guild Court, Register of New Buildings I, 12 November 1892, B 4/11/1.

8: Glasgow Herald, letter from Leonard Gow, president of the Insitute, to the editor, 30 November 1893, p. 3.

9: Glasgow Herald, 16 October 1896, p. 6.

10: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, p. 31.

11: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court plans, TD1309/A/271; David Stark, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Co., Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing, 2004, p. 98.

12: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Records of Canal Boatmen's Institute and Port Dundas Mission, TD1301/3/9, letter from R. McKenzie Smith to the City Architect and the Director of Planning, 22 September 1965.

13: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Records of Canal Boatmen's Institute and Port Dundas Mission, letter from R. McKenzie Smith to Director of Planning, 3 March 1967, 'in connection with anticipated demolition', TD1301/3/30.