Additions and alterations to St Thomas Wesleyan Methodist Church

M078 Additions and alterations to St Thomas Wesleyan Methodist Church

Address: 600, Gallowgate, Glasgow
Date: 1892–4
Client: Rev. George Adcock
Authorship: Authorship category 3 (Office with Mackintosh) (Office with Mackintosh)

John Honeyman & Keppie were commissioned in 1892 to add a large hall and associated outbuildings and to make internal alterations to the church. The church was built in the 1820s and acquired by a Wesleyan Methodist congregation in 1851. 1 On the 1858 O.S. map it appears set back from the busy Gallowgate behind a garden, in an area dominated by rope works, ironworks and a pottery. 2 The commercial value of the garden in this industrial and highly populated district seems to have been realised: five shops were added on the site of the garden, directly on the Gallowgate.

The hall was inserted at the S. of the site, attached to the church and apparently using the walls of existing neighbouring buildings. It was lit by a glazed roof, like the many industrial buildings nearby. The drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court show a very plain interior with a dais at the E. end and wall panelling to the height of a moulded chair rail.

The five shops on the Gallowgate were modest: each comprised a front and back room and an exterior court behind. The shopfronts and doors were almost entirely glazed with slender wooden frames. A timber fascia extended the length of the five shops, over the arched, gated entrance to the church.

Several hands are in evidence on the drawings submitted to the Dean of Guild Court dated October 1892. Mackintosh annotated these drawings and may have been responsible for the titles on some of the sheets.

Photographs from February 1976 show some alterations to the shopfronts and telling signs of decay. By this time, this area was in severe decline. The church had closed three years earlier and was demolished along with the shops later in 1976. The church and adjacent streets made way for the Crownpoint Road Sports Complex. 3

top

Notes:

1: Gordon Adams, 'St Thomas' Methodist Church', www.glasgowhistory.co.uk [accessed 17 November 2010], quoted from Trinity Methodist Church, Trinity Methodist Church, Shettleston. 75th Anniversary, 1902–1977, commemorative booklet, Glasgow: Harmas Design & Publicity, 1977.

2: O.S., Lanarkshire VI.11 (City of Glasgow) (25 inch, 1st edn, 1858–65).

3: Gordon Adams, 'St Thomas' Methodist Church', www.glasgowhistory.co.uk [accessed 17 November 2010], quoted from Trinity Methodist Church, Trinity Methodist Church, Shettleston. 75th Anniversary, 1902–1977, commemorative booklet, Glasgow: Harmas Design & Publicity, 1977.